cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
The Statistics Index

In today’s episode of Help! Ross Metusalem introduces the Statistics Index in JMP. Located on the Help Menu, the Statistics Index gives you a list of all statistical methods available in JMP and helps you determine which one to use. Much like the index of a book, the Statistics Index gives you a list of all the statistical methods available, and supplements that information with a definition and even an example of how to use the particular analysis in JMP.

Full Transcript (Automatically Generated)

View more...

Today's topic is playfully titled help, where we'll be talking about some of the various help resources and jmp and how to use them effectively. Today specifically, we're going to be talking about the statistics index, which is a great place to go if you know of a statistics, statistic or analysis you want to do in jmp but you're not sure exactly where to find it or how to use it. So let's take a look at a simple example.

Here is a data table containing download speeds and megabits per second of my home internet connection, where many of us are working from home, you know, as of late and internet speeds, particularly important consideration for us. On my bill, it says that I should be getting about 100 megabits per second on my connection. And so I was wondering if that's actually the case, here, I've recorded 12. download speed tests over the course of a few days. And I want to actually see if I'm getting that hundred megabit speed that I'm paying for. Let's take a quick look at a basic analysis of these data, it looks like there's some spread, but on average, I'm getting 104.17 megabits per second. So that looks pretty good. You know, I may actually be getting a faster speed that I'm paying for.

But in order to assess whether that really is the case, or whether this might be due to random chance, I want to do another analysis. In particular, I need a one sample t test. But maybe I don't know exactly how to do that and jmp I need some help. So let's go ahead and see how these statistics index can help us in this situation. So I'm going to go to help statistics index. The statistics index is much like the index of a book where in a book We see a list of all the key terms or topics in the book and page numbers so that we can find more information about each one. In the statistics index, we have a list of all these statistics produced in jmp, along with some helpful information.

For example, here we have a definition of the, in this case, 3d by plot. And we have some buttons down below that will take us to, from left to right, the help documentation online to a launch window where we can actually run this analysis on our own data. Or on the right we see we can run an example which will actually run this GLSL code that's editable down below to kind of show us how the analysis works on some data that's built into jmp. So we know that we want a one sample t test. Let's scroll down in the list of statistics and analyses to find what we're looking for. Once we get down to Oh, here you can see we have our one sample t test. I click here and see that this is it. test that the mean is some hypothesized value.

That's what I want. I want to see if my download speed might be different from 100 megabits per second. To get more information, I'll click the topic Help button. This launches the help documentation in my web browser, I can see that we're going to be using jmps, test mean capability with more description below. And if I scroll up to the breadcrumb at the top, I can see that this is under the distribution platform. So now I know where to find this, I'm looking for the test mean option in the distribution platform. I want to see how this works. So I'm going to go ahead and run the example built in.

When I click on the run example, jmp opens a sample data set in this case the big class data set which contains information like age, sex, height and weight of 40 students from ages 12 to 17. We can see in the Analysis window that it's pulled up, we have a one sample t test down at the bottom We've tested students height against the hypothesized value of 61. So this looks great. This is exactly what I want to do. Let's actually run it on my own data. Close these windows down. And now I'll click Launch.

Tell jmp that I want to analyze my download speed. Click ok. Enter the hypothesized value of 100 megabits per second. Now jmp is performed the analysis on my data set. And if we have a look below, we can see that I have a statistically significant result indicated with the orange p values there. So it does look like I have real evidence here that I'm getting a few extra megabits per second than what the Internet Service Providers promised me. So that's pretty great.

Now, if I want to run this in the future, I could of course returned to the statistics index and click Launch but luckily, by having already studied the topic, help and viewed the example, I actually know where this lives in fact, the whole time It has been living in the distribution tool that I was using at the beginning. So in the future anytime I want this analysis, I now know that I can find it as the test mean option in the distribution platform. So that's it for help today. This is the statistics index, a one stop shop for all of these statistics in jmp, where to find them and how to use them. So we'll continue with some more jmp on air programming Julian, back to you