cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Merge Columns add-in
john_madden
Level VI

After doing a series of table concatenates, I often found myself with multiple "Source Table" columns of various ages that I wanted to combine into a single comprehensive Source Table column. Sometimes I needed to merge (I think SAS calls it "coalesce") two columns for other reasons. I wrote this little add-in to make it less painful.
This add-in operates on the current data table, and allows you to select two columns to merge row-for-row according to several criteria. The merged result is a new column, and the add-in is non-destructive so your original columns are preserved. You can keep the original columns where they are, or stash them in their own folder group to get them out of the way, or for later manual deletion.
I am sure there are many ways to accomplish the same end, but nevertheless you may find this add-in useful.
This was developed on a Mac. I have used an earlier version for several years on several versions of JMP Pro/Mac with no problems. I have opened it and checked that it functions on Windows, but I have not tested it rigorously there. So review the results on your set-up, and as always use at your own risk.
If you encounter any problems, please contact me! My email is in the accompanying pdf, which also contains a more complete description of the add-in's operation.
John