cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Geocoding Place Names
XanGregg
Staff

Helps convert places names to longitude/latitude coordinates.

This add-in will go through a specified data table and check user-specified columns for location names or addresses. It will then check these places against internal data tables installed with the add-in or the online services of OpenStreetMaps.org. For example: say that you have a data table with American cities paired with some numerical data, and you want to view this information on a map with JMP. You can use this add-in to find latitude and longitude coordinates for each of the different cities, and then creating your map is rather easy.

Author: intern David Spruill

Updated April 4, 2016 with extra error check and reduced data base size.

Related blog post: A JMP add-in to geocode your geographic data - JMP Blog

Comments
markschahl

Awesome! Saved me a bunch of time. I was about to do this in Excel, when I asked myself "I wonder if there is JSL for this at the user community?"

NickN

Hello,

I'm having a little trouble with the geocoder add-in.  Is it expecting a certain format for the input text?  I have some addresses with unit/apt numbers, would this create a problem.

Thanks for posting this add-in.

BSwid

Hello,

Is anyone else having an issue with Georgia?  It found the country not the state.  I'm especially surprised because I set the search to custom and selected just USA and Canada.

JMP_WrongGeorgia.JPG 

PaulJones

Has anyone been able to reverse geocode in JMP by inputting latitude and longitude coordinates and outputting the country?

ih

@PaulJones, this is a scripting solution but maybe it will get you started.  I just noticed I did City/State in the USA but you can expand this to Country using the other table (JMP Geocoder - World Geodatabase.jmp) in the same Add-In folder.

//Open the table in the JMP Geocoder
dt = Open("$ADDIN_HOME(com.jmp.jmpgeocoder)\JMP Geocoder - US Geodatabase Ordered.jmp");

//Build table for KNN
mat = (dt:Latitude << getvalues) || (dt:Longitude << getvalues);
kdt = KDTable( mat );

//Find the the nearest row for new data and print the result
{rows, dist} = kdt << K nearest rows(1,[35.824548, -78.757867])
row = rows[1]
"Zip Code: " || char(dt:Zip Code[row]) || " in " || dt:Zip Name[row] || ", " || dt:State[row] || ", from row: " || char(row)
MKostura

Has anyone on the board happened to scrape data from Census.gov by census tract and used the Mapping function?  There is a load of data to be gotten for use and I wanted to have the granularity of census tract data.  A GeoCode ID is provided but I have not been able to find a way to convert it to a JMP sensible output.