cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Compress to Labeled Code
John_Sall
Staff

For long character category variables in a large file, you can save space by using a code for the category, and using a value label for the long label. You specify a character column, click Select, and it makes the new column, named after the selected column with " Code" added to it. It is typically used to save space or improve load or analysis time, which typically takes longer for character variables.

2016-06-13:  Updated Add-in to support multiple column selection.

Comments
acohen

When I try to use this, I get an error message:

11934_2016-06-30_1007.png

Also, in the previous version, the coded version did not pick up the value ordering, so the numbered codes were not in the correct order (the numbered codes were in the alpha order of the labels, rather than the meaningful order, which I set with "value ordering". It would be so great if the script would use the value ordering property!

Hi!  Interesting error - can you share a data set that I can use to reproduce the error?