Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

text explorer freq option

Dear members of the community,

i have a summary table of text strings in one column and the frequency in the other.

would like to use text explorer but there is no freq option in the platform. in the script i can add it but it doesn't do anything or return any error.

any ideas?

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Consumer Preferences.jmp" );
dt << Text Explorer( TextColumns( :Reasons Not to Floss ) freq (:Age in Years));
4 REPLIES 4
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: text explorer freq option

It would help to see an example of what you want.  But it seems strange for Age to be a frequency variable for the Reasons.  I would think that your data has individual responses with reasons and age for each respondent - in that case, text explorer can help identify the frequency of the words/phrases used in the Reasons and you can analyze those in relation to the respondent's age.  But I don't understand how the person's Age would represent the frequency of anything.  Can you provide some more explanation?

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

sorry for not giving a more substantial example. i was just trying to make the technical point.
in the attached file i have an example of answers and their frequency. i would like to do a word and phrase count.
for example , how many times Yes and NO are actually mentioned over all.
many thanks!

dale_lehman
Level VII

There may be simpler ways to do it, but the attached has 2 columns to identify the yes and no presences and then you can use Table Summary to get the sums of these 2 columns.

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

thank you @dale_lehman 
my solution so far is to use the Expand by frequency add in:
https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Add-Ins/Expand-by-Frequency-Column-Add-In/ta-p/21361
once i expand the summary table i get all words and phrases counted correctly using the text explorer.
the issue is that i have a huge file to begin with so expanding it makes a few million rows.
having a Freq option in the platform (like most other platforms) would make it easier.

thanks again!