Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ar2
ar2
Level III

"Blue Line" Significance Test in Effect Estimates in Fit Model

Can anyone explain why blue line in Effect Estimates in Fit Model which (implicitly) signifies significance is set at P = 0.01 rather than P= 0.05. Is this alterable in preferences?

Thanks for any advice/guidance/Logic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: "Blue Line" Significance Test in Effect Estimates in Fit Model

This is just my personal interpretation.

The table is showing p-values but also LogWorth values.  Personally I would use these in difference scenarios:-

If I'm doing traditional statistical modelling (lets say modelling DOE data) then I would be interested in p-values.  Then I would expect the blue line to be to 0.05 threshold.  I would also want the table to use p-value formatting (i.e. colour coded p-values) - something it doesn't do.

If I'm dealing with much larger volumes of data and doing predictive modelling then I kind of expect everything to be statistically significant, so LogWorth is more helpful to me in terms of ranking variables.  Then a LogWorth threshold is useful to me, maybe 2 or 3 or whatever helps me apply some form of Pareto principle.  In this context, the blue line make sense, giving me a threshold of 2 for LogWorth.

So this is what I would like to see:

An option to format the effect summary either in terms of p-value or LogWorth.  In p-value format, I want to see the p-value formatting and a thresold line of 0.05.  In LogWorth format I don't really want to see p-values.  Just show me LogWorth values and the threshold line.  Happy to have it at 2, but give me the choice to change the value.

-Dave

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm not sure which "Blue Line" you're talking about. Do you mean the one in the Sorted Parameter Estimates report?

JMPScreenSnapz063.png

I believe those vertical blue lines are set at the .05 significance level. 

If that's not the part of the report you're asking about can you post a picture of the lines you're interested in?

-Jeff
ar2
ar2
Level III

Jeff - it is the blue line in the Effect Summary report in Fit Model which is set at logworth value equivalent to P= 0.01 (I believe)

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

This is just my personal interpretation.

The table is showing p-values but also LogWorth values.  Personally I would use these in difference scenarios:-

If I'm doing traditional statistical modelling (lets say modelling DOE data) then I would be interested in p-values.  Then I would expect the blue line to be to 0.05 threshold.  I would also want the table to use p-value formatting (i.e. colour coded p-values) - something it doesn't do.

If I'm dealing with much larger volumes of data and doing predictive modelling then I kind of expect everything to be statistically significant, so LogWorth is more helpful to me in terms of ranking variables.  Then a LogWorth threshold is useful to me, maybe 2 or 3 or whatever helps me apply some form of Pareto principle.  In this context, the blue line make sense, giving me a threshold of 2 for LogWorth.

So this is what I would like to see:

An option to format the effect summary either in terms of p-value or LogWorth.  In p-value format, I want to see the p-value formatting and a thresold line of 0.05.  In LogWorth format I don't really want to see p-values.  Just show me LogWorth values and the threshold line.  Happy to have it at 2, but give me the choice to change the value.

-Dave
ar2
ar2
Level III

David - really helpful insight. Thank you. And I agree with your proposed format chnage suggestions!