cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PhDer
Level II

Whats the best JMP stats book for a beginner?

Hello,

Could someone please recommend a book for using JMP, ideally one thats for novices. 

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
jthi
Super User

Re: Whats the best JMP stats book for a beginner?

I would check the documentation you can find from here JMP Documentation . There is also quite a few books in SAS Institute SAS Institute - Search results for JMP , but I'm not familiar with these

-Jarmo
PhDer
Level II

Thanks!

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Here are my two thoughts:

1. If you have to have a book, a physical book, then I'd start here: Statistical Thinking

The book focuses on how you think...before you start fumbling with collecting, analyzing, and reporting your data findings. Then it moves into methods and execution in JMP. But if push came to shove on my Mt. Rushmore of statistical thinking books, nobody tops Don Wheeler's "Understanding Variation the Key to Managing Chaos" book. Wheeler's book does not include any JMP content...but if I could design an optimal book based curriculum, I'd start with Wheeler, then move to Snee et. al.

2. Now, if you are a bit more flexible in terms of your delivery and educational experience options, I can't recommend strongly enough the SAS "Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving" online course. It's free. Basically assumes you know very little about statistical methods and nothing about JMP. All you need is a web browser and internet connection. You don't even need JMP...in the exercises you run JMP on a virtual machine that is interwoven into the user experience. Here's a link to the course landing page: Statistical Thinking for Industrial Problem Solving 

PhDer
Level II

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and I will definitely check out the books plus the online course. 

P_Bartell
Level VIII

The other thing I'll add is wrt to Wheeler's book and JMP capabilities, is Wheeler's ideas and methods are very congruent with JMP capabilities and design. Indeed there are whole sections of JMP (especially in the Measurement Systems Analysis space) where Wheeler's very methods are codified in JMP capabilities.

PhDer
Level II

Thanks again

There are several. Please see

You can see the entire list for yourself here.