cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rleeper
Level III

Show Scientific notation with Char function?

I have a column that has numbers in scientific notation, I need to annotate a chart title with the values in scientific notation.

To annotate a chart with a number you have to use the Char() function, when I use the Char() function the result is in decimals.

Example:

Dispatch( {}, "graph title", TextEditBox, {Set Text( "Id vs Vg by display. Id range : " || Char(IR))} )

Is there anyway to get the Char function to show the Scientific notation instead?

I tried using a new column that was Character based and referenced the values from the numeric column, and JMP promptly turned the new column into a numeric column.

I tried using a new column that was Character based and used the Char() function in the formula, and the scientific notation automatically got converted to decimal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Show Scientific notation with Char function?

x = 5e-10;

y = Char(Format(x, "Scientific"));

Show(x, y);

x = 0.0000000005;

y = "5e-10";

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

x = 5e-10;

y = Char(Format(x, "Scientific"));

Show(x, y);

x = 0.0000000005;

y = "5e-10";

rleeper
Level III

Thank you, worked perfectly!