cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nikles
Level VI

Send commands to multiple Bivariate Plots

I have a script that generates a series of bivariate plots within a single window, using a LineUpBox to contain each plot.  After the plots have been created, I want the option for the user to toggle on/off the points of the plot (I intend to add other options...this is serving only as one example).  I envision a buttonbox or checkbox in the window the user can click on, and all the plots will reflect this action. 

For a single plot, I would use the command:

bvp << Show Points(0/1);

where bvp is the reference to the bivariate plot.  However, here I have multiple plots and cannot use a single reference for them all.  I tried referencing to my LineUpBox that contains the plots instead:

For(plid = 1, plid <= nplots, plid++,
 LUB_plots[plid] << Show Points(pts)
)

where LUB_plots is the reference to my lineupbox.   This loop would be run each time the user checks the checkbox, for example.  When I do this, I get the following errors:

The display box 'OutlineBox' does not recognize the message 'Show Points'; perhaps you mean one of these:  <<Show Properties <<Show HelpKeys <<SetHorizontal <<Horizontal <<SetOpen <<GetHorizontal <<Close Where No Outlines <<Font <<Set Font <<Set Font Style <<Set Font Size <<Reshow <<Set Report Title <<Set Window Title <<Top Parent <<Show Tree Structure <<Restore Window Size <<Set Window Size <<Set Content Size <<Get Window Position <<Show Window <<Get Show Window <<Set Window Title <<Set Window Icon <<Set Print Headers <<Set Print Footers <<Scroll Window <<Set Width <<Set Height <<Horizontal Alignment.

and an instance of the following for each plot:

(The following message might not be an actual error; the preference 'Report Invalid Display Box Messages' is ON.) The display box 'OutlineBox' does not recognize the message 'Show Points'.

I checked the tree structure and confirm that yes, the top display box is indeed an outline box.  So at least I know LineUpBox[plid] is aiming where I expected it to.  The problem seems to be that my <<Show Points command sees the outline box it's pointed to, but fails to recognize that the outline box is actually part of a bivariate plot.

My question: How can I reference multiple bivariate plots?  Alternatively, is there a better way to send commands to multiple bivariate plots after they've been created?  Perhaps using some sort of Dispatch/SendtoReports command structure?

Not sure how to even search the community for this one.  Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Send commands to multiple Bivariate Plots

Or much simpler with xpath, inspired by a JMP Summit presentation that just was posted here:

Names Default To Here(1);
//Example report
Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");
nw = New Window("example",
    lub = Lineup Box(
        Bivariate(Y(:weight), X(:height), FitLine()),
        Bivariate(Y(:weight), X(:age), FitLine()),
        Bivariate(Y(:age), X(:age), FitLine()),
        Bivariate(Y(:weight), X(:weight), FitLine())
    )
);

//Make list of plots
L = (lub << xpath("//LineUpBox/OutlineBox")) << get scriptable object;

// Send messages to all plots, e.g
L << show points(0);

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The show points() message needs to be sent to the Bivariate object rather than to its top display box. From an existing display tree, a reference to the associated object can be obtained by <<Get Scriptable Object.

An example that also illustrates one way to send messages to multiple plots:

//Example report
New Window("example",
    lub = Lineup Box(
    )
);

//Make list of plots (here top-level Outline boxes)
L = {};
i = 1;
While(Is Scriptable(Try(lub[Outline Box(i)])),
    If((lub[Outline Box(i)] << parent) << classname == "LineUpBox",
        Insert Into(L, lub[Outline Box(i)] << get scriptable object)
    );
    i++;
);

L << show points(0);
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Or much simpler with xpath, inspired by a JMP Summit presentation that just was posted here:

//Example report
    lub = Lineup Box(
    )
);

//Make list of plots
L = (lub << xpath("//LineUpBox/OutlineBox")) << get scriptable object;

L << show points(0);

nikles
Level VI

Thanks!  The xpath cmd works great for my show points example.

Now I have a followup.  How can I send a command to all my plots that changes the y-axis from linear to log?  As a start, I tried using the xpath command with the intent of creating a list of all references to all the y-axis boxes. I'm first just trying to confirm that the xpath command is pulling the correct refs.  But I can't seem to get it to return just those boxes though.  By inspecting the xml code in the log, I could see the y-axis boxes all have a "charID=\!"2\!"", so I'm trying to use that to differentiate the y's from the x's, but no luck. 

//Example report
Try(Window("example") << Close Window);
    lub = Lineup Box(
    )
);

Show(lub << Get xml); Show(lub << xpath("//AxisBox")); //list of 8 displayboxes Show(lub << xpath("//AxisBox[2]")); //empty list Show(lub << xpath("//AxisBox['2']")); //list of 8 displayboxes Show(lub << xpath("//AxisBox[\!"2\!"]")); //list of 8 displayboxes Show(lub << xpath("//AxisBox[charID=\!"2\!"]")); //empty list Show(lub << xpath("//AxisBox[\!"charID=2\!"]")); //list of 8 displayboxes

How can I get xpath to return just the 4 y axisboxes?

Once I succeed in generating the references to the specific axis boxes I want, do I need to send the "Get Scriptable Object" command as with your previous example, or can I just send the "Scale" command directly to the list of references?

I read through the JMP Summit presentation and the .jsl code examples you provided...very helpful.  However, additional documentation is sparse in the Scripting Index, and appears to be non-existent in Scripting Guide.  Is there more documentation available on xpath?  I'd like to know what the format is for the input.  For example, what does the "//" do at the beginning?  And how should I format the rest of the input to get the displayboxes I need? 

Thanks.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

This syntax seems to work:

y_axes = (lub << xpath("//AxisBox[@charID='2']"));
y_axes << scale(Log);

For xpath documentation, see for example w3schools tutorial on XPath

nikles
Level VI