cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
morenopelaez_p
Level III

SQL query from 2 or more databases

I have been creating some queries to an SQL database to extract some of the information from a master table and some other linked tables in a database.

Now I want to be able to create a query that links tables located in two separate databases (both located in the same server) but I do not know if this is possible.

When you create a query, the connection seems to be linked to a specific database in a server and NOT to the server itself. This makes the tables available for the query limited to only one of the databases.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Is there a way around it? I have not tried to create two connections (one per database), would this work/be possible?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
pmroz
Super User

Re: SQL query from 2 or more databases

If you're using Oracle you can create a database link between the two databases.  Then you can select data from both databases simultaneously.  I've used database links quite often and they are fairly painless.  Might need some help from a DBA to set up.

If you're using SQL server there's something called a linked server that can accomplish the same thing, but I don't have any experience with that.

morenopelaez_p
Level III

Thanks @PMroz , that is helpful.

I am using MySQL so I will investigate what is the equivalent to the "linking" procedures you mention.

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Echoing PMroz's answer, this is really more of a DBA question.  At least as far as querying two databases at once goes.  Other wise, you could always query both databases separately and then join/update/concatenate the tables together.

dbhandle1 = Create Database Connection(info1);

sql1 = "";

table1 = Execute SQL(dbhandle1, sql1, "Table1");

dbhandle2 = Create Database Connection(info2);

sql2 = "";

table2 = Execute SQL(dbhandle2, sql2, "Table2");

table1 << Join(with(table2));

morenopelaez_p
Level III

Thanks msharp, that was my backup option indeed.

After doing some research it looks like there is no equivalent to Oracle's "dblink" in MySQL. I still have to try to create a view table from several and call that one database from JMP. That could work as a "summary".