Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Franck_R
Level III

Running Queries Menu bug?

Hi everyone,

I think there is a problem with the "running queries menu" because I want to use this menu to prevent users of my queries from launching them several times queries when they run background.
So I thought I would use the jsl command:
Main Menu ("Running Queries");

That works fine... once!

Yes, because the problem is that once you close this window (manually or in jsl) it never reappears until you restart JMP!

A short video to show the problem with manual launching these window, close then no window anymore:

Is this a bug? Known? Does anyone have a solution or a reset command that I could add to my jsl scripts?

I'm running JMP 15.2.1

Thank you!

Franck

10 REPLIES 10
Georg
Level VII

Re: Running Queries Menu bug?

running JMP Pro 15.1.0 on Windows

I did never try before, but now I get a crash ("JMP has performed an Access Violation and will shut down"), every time when I start view->running queries the second time.

Perhaps you want to check this entry About Control Background queries:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Run-several-database-queries-ODBC-in-background-and-combine...

Georg
Franck_R
Level III

OK so it definitely looks like a bug thanks!

For the scripts I've seen proposals in jsl to control the end of a query when you want to combine two queries for example but for my part I include the second one in a function triggered by an OnRunComplete because it's usually a big query and a small quick one behind it.
So I found that for my need to avoid users triggering several big queries without being aware that this is the case each time they press the script button, this display of query runnings was simple and efficient... Too bad it doesn't work!

Georg
Level VII

@Franck_R wrote:

OK so it definitely looks like a bug thanks!

For the scripts I've seen proposals in jsl to control the end of a query when you want to combine two queries for example but for my part I include the second one in a function triggered by an OnRunComplete because it's usually a big query and a small quick one behind it.
So I found that for my need to avoid users triggering several big queries without being aware that this is the case each time they press the script button, this display of query runnings was simple and efficient... Too bad it doesn't work!

Perhaps you can run your "Long" query in another instance of JMP in foreground, such that it is visible in the operating System, it's not too complicated. If you do not wish to Control it in your script.

Georg
Craige_Hales
Super User

Can JMP run JMP?  

Craige
Franck_R
Level III

Are you suggesting to create a new JMP's session for every request launched ? It seems complicated to me to manage...

Craige_Hales
Super User

You are right, probably not a good choice. I've reported the problem of not re-running to the tech support folks.

Craige
Franck_R
Level III

This solution is very interesting, it's just that I prefer not to complicate my scripts if I can do without it.
Thank you for reporting this bug

Georg
Level VII

I agree of Course to report and fix that bug, no Question.

The choice of how to do the Job is mostly at the author of the script - no Problem. It depends also on circumstances not visible here. "User interface design" when designing a script is a very challenging task needing lots of ressources and never finished. 

Georg

Greetings - thank you so much for reporting this issue to JMP Development. I can report that it has been fixed in our next release -> JMP 16.1 will be available in a few months.