cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mpavilonis
Level II

Reordering the Factors and Response in the Contour Profiler

When generating a Contour Profiler for a large number of Factors and Responses, I'd like to set the order of Factors and Responses as they appear in the Contour Profiler window. Is this possible through scripting or otherwise?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: Reordering the Factors and Response in the Contour Profiler

Hi @mpavilonis,

Ok, the problem is more clear.
If you're using the "Fit Model" platform to have the Contour Profiler, the order in which you see the factors and responses is directly linked to the order in which the factors and responses are introduced in the "Fit Model" panel :

Victor_G_0-1707985831670.png

In the Contour Profiler platform when you use directly saved Prediction Formula in your table, the order of factors in which you have created your formula (with Fit Model platform for example) will stay the same.
If you have several responses when using the Contour Profiler platform, the first Prediction formula introduced will dictate the order of the factors and will be displayed first in the response panel :

Victor_G_1-1707986169783.png

You can reorganize your datatable to group factors and responses and reorder them when building your models, so that the order you would like to have is kept in the Contour Profiler platform.

In your concrete example, create your models with ordering of the factors 1, 2 and then 3. If you save the prediction formulas of responses A, B, C, open the Contour Profiler and keep the same order of the prediction formulas A, B, C, you should get the correct ordering of factors and responses.

Hope this answer will help you understand the logic behind. 

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

mpavilonis
Level II

I am not using Fit Profiler, I am purely using Contour Profiler as a convenient platform for showing the Responses of some complicated formulas with many Factors, but thanks for your explaination!

After trying many iterations, I can confirm your approach to reordering the Reponses in the Y, Predictions Formula box of the Contour Profiler builder GUI reorders the Responses order in the resultant Contour Profiler.

The Factor order is a bit more complicated. The first Factor is determined by the order in which they appear in the ordered list of Responses.

i.e. if the Response order is ResponseA, ResponseB, ResponseC
where: 

ResponseA = Factor3 * Factor2

ResponseB = Factor1 + Factor2

ResponseC = Factor1 

then the Factor order is Factor3, Factor2, Factor1

if the Response order is ResponseC, ResponseB, ResponseA
where: 

ResponseC = Factor1 

then the Factor order is Factor1, Factor2, Factor3

if the Response order is ResponseB, ResponseC, ResponseA
where: 

ResponseC = Factor1 

Pretty unfortunate this order can't be manually be assigned via a script, but thanks for your help navigating this problem!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @mpavilonis,

Welcome in the Community !

I'm not sure to understand your question. Are you referring about Contour Profiler ? And also Prediction Profiler ?

• Is your question about the link between Prediction Profiler and Contour Profiler (and simulatenous change of X on both profilers) ? If yes, you can click in the red triangle next to "Contour Profiler", go in "Factor Settings", and click on "Link Profilers". This option enables to have all changes made on one Profiler transferred to other Profilers (Mixture, Contour, ...).
  • By default the Contour Profiler will display the first factor on the X axis and the second factor as the Y axis :
    Victor_G_0-1707927279417.png

Clicking on the red triangle next to each factor enable to change the variable (for example choose X3 instead of X1 on the X axis)

• If you want to reorder the factors and responses in the Prediction Profiler, you can click on the red triangle next to Prediction profiler, then "Appearance", and then "Reorder X variables" or "Reorder Y variables" :
    Victor_G_1-1707927717901.png

My response may be completely off your point, so please explain your situation and provide snapshots, an example dataset and more information/context about what you're trying to achieve/obtain.

Victor GUILLER
mpavilonis
Level II

Thanks for the quick reply, Victor! Hopefully the below screenshot clarifies my question.

I'd like Factors to be in a more logical order "Factor 1, Factor 2, Factor 3" going down the list. I'd also like Responses ordered by "Response A, Response B, Response C" going down the list as well.

Is it possible and/or scriptable in the Contour Profiler platform?Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 11.34.11 AM.png

Victor_G
Super User

Hi @mpavilonis,

Ok, the problem is more clear.
If you're using the "Fit Model" platform to have the Contour Profiler, the order in which you see the factors and responses is directly linked to the order in which the factors and responses are introduced in the "Fit Model" panel :

Victor_G_0-1707985831670.png

In the Contour Profiler platform when you use directly saved Prediction Formula in your table, the order of factors in which you have created your formula (with Fit Model platform for example) will stay the same.
If you have several responses when using the Contour Profiler platform, the first Prediction formula introduced will dictate the order of the factors and will be displayed first in the response panel :

Victor_G_1-1707986169783.png

You can reorganize your datatable to group factors and responses and reorder them when building your models, so that the order you would like to have is kept in the Contour Profiler platform.

In your concrete example, create your models with ordering of the factors 1, 2 and then 3. If you save the prediction formulas of responses A, B, C, open the Contour Profiler and keep the same order of the prediction formulas A, B, C, you should get the correct ordering of factors and responses.

Hope this answer will help you understand the logic behind. 

Victor GUILLER
mpavilonis
Level II

I am not using Fit Profiler, I am purely using Contour Profiler as a convenient platform for showing the Responses of some complicated formulas with many Factors, but thanks for your explaination!

After trying many iterations, I can confirm your approach to reordering the Reponses in the Y, Predictions Formula box of the Contour Profiler builder GUI reorders the Responses order in the resultant Contour Profiler.

The Factor order is a bit more complicated. The first Factor is determined by the order in which they appear in the ordered list of Responses.

i.e. if the Response order is ResponseA, ResponseB, ResponseC
where: 

ResponseC = Factor1 

then the Factor order is Factor3, Factor2, Factor1

if the Response order is ResponseC, ResponseB, ResponseA
where: 

ResponseC = Factor1 

if the Response order is ResponseB, ResponseC, ResponseA
where: 

ResponseC = Factor1 

Pretty unfortunate this order can't be manually be assigned via a script, but thanks for your help navigating this problem!