Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Recode multiple columns with JSL script

buckmurdock

Community Trekker

Dec 17, 2013

I have a script with connects to an Access Database to retrieve some data for analysis.  In this data there are several columns which have some null information in the data set.  I know I can use the For Each Row command and recode a column to replace all the null data with the string "Blank".  Is there a way to script this to work on all columns or do i need to use the For Each Row command on each column I wish to recode?  I dont have a problem doing it that way, but it just seems there has to be a way to loop this for each column and shrink the code a bit.

Right now i have this:

For Each Row ( If( :Priority == "", :Priority = "Blank" ));

If possible i would simply like it to traverse through all the columns and anywhere there's no information to insert "Blank".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

You can have multiple statements within a for each row() clause. I.e. For Each Row( If( ... ); If( ... ), ... ).

Or perhaps better, loop over a list of columns (inside the For Each Row()-loop or stand-alone) as in the example below

dt = Current Data Table();

cols = dt << get column names;// or any list of character columns

For Each Row( For( i = 1, i <= N Items( cols ), i++, If( cols[i][] == "", cols[i][] = "Blank" ) ) );

// Alternatively...

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( cols ), i++, cols[i][dt << get rows where( cols[i][] == "" )] = "Blank");

2 REPLIES
Solution

You can have multiple statements within a for each row() clause. I.e. For Each Row( If( ... ); If( ... ), ... ).

Or perhaps better, loop over a list of columns (inside the For Each Row()-loop or stand-alone) as in the example below

dt = Current Data Table();

cols = dt << get column names;// or any list of character columns

For Each Row( For( i = 1, i <= N Items( cols ), i++, If( cols[i][] == "", cols[i][] = "Blank" ) ) );

// Alternatively...

For( i = 1, i <= N Items( cols ), i++, cols[i][dt << get rows where( cols[i][] == "" )] = "Blank");

buckmurdock

Community Trekker

Dec 17, 2013

That worked perfectly.  Thank you so much!