cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rinosaur
Level I

Paste data from JMP to Excel

Hello,

I currently have a script which automatically populates a JMP table with Excel data, then runs a non-linear regression and saves the fitted data. I would then like to copy these new columns back into the same, open, Excel document. Is there a simple way to select the new columns, and then copy the data to the clipboard using JSL so I can paste it back in Excel?

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Paste data from JMP to Excel

You need to scan the table and build up a text string that you can put into the clipboard using the Set Clipboard function.

Use the tab escape (\!t) sequence to separate columns and the new line escape sequence (\!N)to create rows

Set Clipboard( "col 1 row 1\!tcol 2 row 1\!tcol 3 row 1\!Ncol 1 row 2\!tcol 2 row 2\!tcol 3 row 2" );
-Dave

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@rinosaur , 
     Hello. The following piece of code might be useful in achieveing what you are after : 

// Open Sample Data
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );  

// Specify Output Folder Location - edit per your needs 
OutputFolder = "C:\";

// Get List of Columns 
ColNames = dt << Get Column Names("String"); 

// Specify Columns you desired to copy and paste into excel 
DesColumnsList = {"age","sex"}; 

// Loop through columns to select columns you want 
for(i = 1, i <= N Cols(dt), i++,
		If(Contains(DesColumnsList,ColNames[i]),
				Col = Column(dt,i); // Get Reference for Column 
				Col << Set Selected(1); 
		  );
   );

// Subset Selected columns 
dt_New = dt << Subset(Selected Rows(0),Selected Columns(1));  

// Save Desired Table 
Close(dt_New,Save(OutputFolder || "test.xlsx"));
Best
Uday
rinosaur
Level I

Hi @uday_guntupalli

This is similar to what I was thinking, making the subset and copying from there. But this would make a new workbook, correct? I am looking to copy the subset to the clipboard and then later on paste into the original workbook if possible.

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@rinosaur

How about this ? 

// Opem Sample Data
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

// Write to Excel 
Create Excel Workbook("C:\Test.xlsx",{"Big Class"},{"Big"}); 

// Open Another Sample Data Set 
dt1 =  Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Air Traffic.jmp" );

// Write both tables to existing workbook

Create Excel Workbook("C:\Test.xlsx",{"Big Class","Air Traffic"},{"Big","Air"});

However, in your case , you will directly append the data into a new tab in Excel to your workbook using the last step . 
So - open you excel workbook as a JMP data table , then have a second data table with the data you want to write and then use Create Excel Workbook as shown above to write to Excel. 

If you want all the data in the same tab , just join the JMP data tables and write to Excel . Hope this helps . 

Best
Uday
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

You need to scan the table and build up a text string that you can put into the clipboard using the Set Clipboard function.

Use the tab escape (\!t) sequence to separate columns and the new line escape sequence (\!N)to create rows

Set Clipboard( "col 1 row 1\!tcol 2 row 1\!tcol 3 row 1\!Ncol 1 row 2\!tcol 2 row 2\!tcol 3 row 2" );
-Dave