cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Open() Time Out Error

I have a script that runs: text =Open(URL); and it works fine for the majority of all cases.  The URL is a link to a python script that returns data in comma delineated text format.  The problem I'm facing is every now and then the python script may take a while and the open() times out in JSL.  I get the error: 

"Unable to read data from URL: 

Internet Error: 12002 (The operation timed out)"

When heading to the URL in a browser the data returns just fine.  Is there anyway to manipulate the JSL timeout parameter?

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Open() Time Out Error

I wrote a small PHP script to test this, but I'm not sure I'm testing the right thing.  It delivers a small amount of data, once a second, without breaking the connection, forever.  It ran 2500 seconds before I disconnected the ethernet to see the results:

open("http://ExampleNotReallyHere.com/forever.php")

"<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<body>

<br>10000000 10000001 10000002 10000003 10000004 ... 10002518 10002519 <br>10002520 "

here's the PHP:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<body>

<?php

for($i=10000000;$i<99999999;$i++) {

if( ( $i % 20 ) == 0 ) {

echo "<br>";

}

echo "$i ";

flush();

ob_flush();

sleep(1);

}

?>

</body>

</html>

Craige
landon
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Open() Time Out Error

We got a similar 'Internet Error: 12002 (The operation timed out)' message trying to use a REST API... and we ended up having to modify the registry. We were getting timeouts after ~30 seconds.

We used some of these references in our troubleshooting.

We ended up modifying the registry (with JSL) to extend the timeout... see my post at Re: Calling RESTful Web Services from JMP

Regards, -Landon