cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Hegedus
Level IV

Newbie Question extracting values from a report

Hi,

I am trying to come up to speed on extracting values from a report called by a script.

To test things out I create two simple columns and do a fit and I am trying to extract the intercept from the estimate just so I know what I am doing.

Test=Bivariate(

Y( :Column 2 ),

X( :Column 1 ),

Fit Line( {Line Color( {208, 64, 86} )} )

);

r=test<<report;

fred=r[outlinebox("Linear Fit"),Outlinebox("Parameter Estimates"),ColBox("Estimate")[1]]<<get(1);

show(fred);

I am trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to follow the example in the manual and I am getting an error as show in the log window

index{100} in access or evaluation of 'Get' , Get( 1 ) /*###*/

What should this test script look like?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Newbie Question extracting values from a report

Hi,

There is a little syntax error in this section of the code:

fred=r[outlinebox("Linear Fit"),Outlinebox("Parameter Estimates"),ColBox("Estimate")[1]]<<get(1);

The column box reference is a number column box in the report, so try using NumberColBox. Also, Put the reference of the first value inside the () instead of outside and remove the [ ]. Put a comma between the title and the number reference. See below

fred=r[OutlineBox("Linear Fit"),OutlineBox("Parameter Estimates"),NumberColBox("Estimate",1)]<<get(1);

That should work for you.

Best Regards,

Chris Kirchberg

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
Hegedus
Level IV

I was fishing through the scripting manual and in the section on invisible reports (pg 384 on manual for Version 12)yields a different syntax that eschews the get directive completely and uses a term columnbox which does not appear to be a reserved word because it is not showing up in blue font color.  This also works.  If I use the properties window to examine the report, The "estimate" is listed as a "col box"

Test=Bivariate(

Y( :Column 2 ),

X( :Column 1 ),

Fit Line( {Line Color( {208, 64, 86} )} )

);

r=test<<report;

//fred=r[Col Box("Estimate")][2];

fred=r[outlinebox("Linear Fit"),Outlinebox("Parameter Estimates"),ColumnBox("Estimate")][1];

show(fred);

8489_Untitled.png

Yup, that will work as long as you don't use the Get Message.

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com

Where can I find the "properties window"?

I need to extract data from a table in a report and need to find the correct path. Apparently the "properties window" could be used for that purpose but I don't know where to find that...

To be more precise, I would like to extract the values from the validation and training tables below in JSL.

matthias_bruchh_0-1594798008202.png

txnelson
Super User

Below is a simple example on how to output the information from the 2 tables into a data table.  Learning about how to deal with JMP Output Display Trees increases a JMP users capabilities exponentially.  The documentation on Display Trees is found in the Scripting Guide in the JMP Documentation Library

Help==>JMP Documentation Library

Here is the script

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/semiconductor capability.jmp" );
neur = dt << Neural(
	Y( :NPN1 ),
	X( :PNP1, :PNP2, :NPN2, :PNP3, :IVP1, :PNP4, :NPN3 ),
	Informative Missing( 0 ),
	Validation Method( "Holdback", 0.3333 ),
	Fit( NTanH( 3 ) )
);
Report( neur )["Training"][Table Box( 1 )] << Make Combined Data Table;
Jim

Thanks for your answer, I will try it. I will also check the Display Tress section in the Scripting Guide. (Actually I have searched for that kind of information under “properties window” in the help, but couldn’t find it.

Thanks for providing the script. I does pretty much what I needed. However, there is a point I don't understand:

This is the table I get. It includes the measures for the training and the validation data.

matthias_bruchh_0-1594902260825.png

However the last line of the script refers explicitly to the training data:

Report( neur )["Training"][Table Box( 1 )] << Make Combined Data Table;

Why does the table also include the information about the validation data?

NB: Removing the part ["Training"] from the last line leads to the same result.

To extract just the information from the first TableBox under the "Validation" OutlineBox, change to the following:

Report( neur )["Validation"][Table Box( 1 )] << Make into Data Table;

The <<Make into Data Table message creates the data table from the values in that TableBox only.  

Wendy