cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

JSL > Maximizing Symbol Size Range in Graph Builder

Hi JMP Community,

I have used extensively the Size variable to vary the size of Markers in Graph Builder but I have not been able to increase the range of sizes beyond the predefined option in GB. Indeed, if I increase the overall size of Markers, the entire range shifts without increasing the contrast between the smallest and largest markers (see below: Left = Marker Size Large; Right = Marker Size XXL):

SCALE Large.pngSCALE XXL.png

Is there a way I could define in JSL the size of each marker or to force GB via JSL to increase the size range of symbols defined by the Size variable?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: JSL > Maximizing Symbol Size Range in Graph Builder

Perhaps you might create an explicit size variable for the Size role in Graph Builder instead of the original variable. So if S is my original variable, transform it to achieve the size range you want and give it a new name, like Size from S.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Perhaps you might create an explicit size variable for the Size role in Graph Builder instead of the original variable. So if S is my original variable, transform it to achieve the size range you want and give it a new name, like Size from S.

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your suggestion. I ended up using the square of the original sizing variable to boost the contrast between the lowest and the highest sizes. I also added a ceiling to the size to prevent the entire size scale to be influenced by a few extreme high values.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse

I hope it works. I changed the problem from using original variable with a new feature to one of using a new variable with an original feature.