cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
yvesprairie
Level IV

JSL Summary function (is this really the expected behaviour?)

Hi everyone,

I use JMP on several computers and on one of them, I had installed JMP with the interface in French while on other it is in English. Both run under MacOS. This normally doesn't prevent me from running JSL scripts on either without having to modify anything. However, I came across a situation where it makes the code fail. In the summary function , one can ask for the column names in the summary table to be the same name as that of the original table using the message:

statistics column name format ( "column" )

However, on my "French" computer, I need to modify the statement to  

statistics column name format ( "colonne" )

which strikes me as an odd behaviour . Is this what was intended? or is it a glitch? Moreover, I didn't find a JSL command allowing me to interrogate what is the display language on a computer and therefore cannot go around the problem with conditional statements. I understand that I can easily change the display language on the offending computer but it does limit the possibility to share the code with colleagues that may use different display language setting.

Many thanks, Yves  

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Re: JSL Summary function (is this really the expected behaviour?)

Which JMP version(s) are you using? I guess if you want to figure out user's language you will have to use some operating system commands through Run Program() (I use Windows, so I'm not sure what options you have (most likely much better than I do)). With Windows I think you would also have to check the Display Language from JMP Preferences.

I have contacted JMP Support (June 2021, SAS 7613370838) about a bit similar thing; column names created from Summary platform depend on the language of user. Other place where this is/was an issue is when trying to get references to report windows based on their name, the name is/was different depending on the language... I'm not sure what is the situation currently with JMP17 or with the upcoming JMP18 as I don't really test JMP with any other languages than English (expect on some rare cases I have to debug some issues with Japanese users).

Last comment in that old ticket from support was:

Based on your feedback, we submitted a suggestion to development to allow English to always work for tables generated by JMP, such as the summary table example.

-Jarmo
yvesprairie
Level IV

Re: JSL Summary function (is this really the expected behaviour?)

Hi Jarmo,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using JMP17 Pro on both computers and both run on the latest version of MacOS. I'll have to investigate how to find out the computer locale outside of JMP. May be they have already come up with a solution in JMP18!

THanks, Yves