cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dale_lehman
Level VII

JMP16 and Windows

I was surprised (more like shocked) to discover that JMP 16 is not compatible with Windows 7.  I am very disappointed.  I don't like Windows 10 and have promised to never move to it.  What in the world were the JMP developers needing from Windows 10?

3 REPLIES 3
andersonmj2
Level IV

Re: JMP16 and Windows

Microsoft Office has not been compatible with Windows 7 for nearly TWO YEARS.  Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7.  This is the way of things - if you want to continue using Windows 7, you need to continue using software which is designed to operate on Windows 7.  Compatibility testing against unsupported operating systems takes time and money for relatively small gain.  I honestly thought it was great that JMP 15 continued to support Windows 7 after end-of-life ... 

dale_lehman
Level VII

Well, you've given me a chance to vent - which I'll take, since trying to express anything to Microsoft is futile.  Office 365 is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen.  I still can't decide if it is software, cloud-based, client-based, or simply a pricing scheme.  I suspect the last of these, since when you use it, it opens Excel 2019.  So, I think Office 365 is a pricing overlay of other Office products.  And, it remains unclear to me the extent to which it is cloud-based.  I really hate Office 365, and the fact that it was not designed with Windows 7 in mind does not make me any fonder.

I sense from your comment that I should just get modern and go along with what Microsoft wants me to do.  Well, from all indications, Microsoft wants me to connect them with everything I do - my wife's machine with Windows 10 is a constant frustration, as meaningless messages constantly bombard her - all designed to have Microsoft take over her thinking for her.  And they usually get it wrong.

So, yes, I'll complain about Windows 10 and many other Microsoft products (don't get me started on Teams).  And, I would have preferred if JMP continued to support Windows 7.  It was nice that they did that with JMP 15, and I am simply expressing my disappointment that they did not continue to do so.  I realize it costs them time and money to stay compatible with other software (note that JMP is not compatible with Stata, so they do make choices about what to be compatible with).

Craige_Hales
Super User

You can make win 10 look a lot like win 7. It takes some work. When you install it, just say no to cortana and one drive and look for the option to not create an account (it is there, maybe in the lower left corner), and etc. Somehow I even made it default to a win 7 style task bar. If you look around on the web you might also discover there is still a free upgrade path from 7 or 8 to 10.

Part of the account and one drive stuff is about backups, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Craige