cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pichan_p
Level II

JMP10: Col Max() and Col Min() functions returned the data from excluded row

Hello,

I used Col Max() and Col Min() function to return the Max/Min value of my specific columns.

Somehow I disabled the unwanted rows but the Col Max() and Col Min() still returned those excluded value.

Is this normal? Do you guys have any idea?

Thank you so much

Pichan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: JMP10: Col Max() and Col Min() functions returned the data from excluded row

This is normal (see explanation on e.g. page 351 in the Scripting Guide).

Col Max() etc. support optional grouping arguments. In a column formula, this trick should work to force exclusion of excluded rows:

Col Maximum( :data, Excluded() )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: JMP10: Col Max() and Col Min() functions returned the data from excluded row

This is normal (see explanation on e.g. page 351 in the Scripting Guide).

Col Max() etc. support optional grouping arguments. In a column formula, this trick should work to force exclusion of excluded rows:

Col Maximum( :data, Excluded() )
glenn_maxey0
Level I

Sorry to be late to the discussion. Thank you for letting us lurkers know about the additional optional argument to Col Maximum( :data, Excluded() ).

If the JMP people are monitoring this, let this be known that the API (application programmer interface) should document all possible arguments to functions.

When I use the following code:

myYCol = "My Exposed Column Name";
myYMax = col max(column(myYCol));
print("Max:", myYMax);
myYMax = col max(column(myYCol), Excluded());
print("Max:", myYMax);

The first debug print will output a number, but could be a maximum specified in excluded rows.

The second debut print will output without quotes "." (period). Why?

When myYMax is later re-used in a "SendToReport... Dispatch... ScaleBox {Max( myYMax ), ...", it seems to employ the expected non-excluded maximum value in rendering of the graph.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

The optional By-arguments in ColMax() etc. is only useful in column formulas.

In a script context you can use summarize() instead. In contrast to the ColStat functions excluded rows are not included in the calculations.

myYCol = "My Exposed Column Name";
Summarize(myYMax = Max(Column(myYCol)));
Print("Max:", myYMax);