cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dlehman1
Level IV

JMP stopped working and reinstalling doesn't help

I have contacted JMP technical support so I hope they will be able to help.  But after 25 years of using JMP I have never encountered this problem - perhaps someone in the Community has some idea.  I am especially concerned because I teach a course using JMP - tomorrow! and it suddenly won't load.  I get the message 

Screenshot 2024-05-23 102243.png

I uninstalled JMP and reinstalled it but I get the same message.  As I said, this has not happened in 25 years using JMP.

4 REPLIES 4
statman
Super User

Re: JMP stopped working and reinstalling doesn't help

I have no idea, but as a work around (teaching JMP).  Let the students "drive" the software.  Help them navigate it, but let them run it.  They will remember better the next time.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
dlehman1
Level IV

That is the way I teach.  However, in this instance where it has been an online class and I now meet 50 students in person for 3 hours, I must demonstrate a bunch of new things on a different data set than they will be working on.  There is no way letting them drive the software is going to work in this instance.

dlehman1
Level IV

My issue I resolved - the missing file is a Microsoft file from the Visual C++ redistributable.  Only thousands of people have gotten this error message over a period of years with different software programs.  What puzzles me is that this JMP installation has worked fine for the past year and now suddenly the file is missing.  How does that happen?

The only thing I would note is that I postponed the latest Windows 11 update - because I am teaching this short course and I've had issues in the past with Microsoft update breaking things.  Is it possible that by not updating, the file JMP needs went missing?

One in a growing list of issues I have with Microsoft.  They are the most unresponsive and irresponsible companies I have any experience with.  Class action lawsuits are in their future!  But really, if anybody has any insight, I am very interested in understanding what happened.

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Where there is smoke there is fire regarding the Microsoft update. While not related to JMP, every now and again when I install a Microsoft update of one kind or another, some very strange things happen on my laptop related to my audio card. The updates are from Microsoft, and near as I can tell not driver updates from or for the audio card creator. Then, just as you experienced everything works fine...until it doesn't. Nearest I can tell is somehow the Microsoft update reconfigures my audio card by implementing a new driver install too. I uninstall the latest 'driver' update, and voila, everything works fine.