cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
drewb
Level I

JMP find R

Hi there,

Very much a novice-question here. I like to use JMP, and have some data in R that I'd like to import to JMP. I'm trying to use the JMP-to-R interface (first time scripting in JMP), and I don't really know what I'm doing. However, when I run the following JSL script, nothing happens;

test1 = Get R(test1);

I'm sure there's much more to it than this, but I'm really at a loss on how to proceed. If you have some suggestions for how I begin pulling data from R into JMP, I'd love to hear! I'm on a PC that just got upgraded to Windows 10, so something I was thinking (but have no idea if this is it) is that JMP can't find the location of my R installation. Again, this is my first venture into JSL scripting, so this is probably a beginner question, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing here. Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
drewb
Level I

Re: JMP find R

Hmm, maybe what I was wanting to do won't work in this instance?

I had a data.frame that was already in the R Global Environment (I/other people had worked on it in R), and I wanted to pull it into JMP. However, from my understanding of our conversation, I would need to run the entire R script in the JMP Script dialog box in order for JMP to "see" the data.frame. Is this correct?

Or maybe there's another step I've missed here. If I've already created a data.frame in R (and it is now in the R 'Global Environment), it's still not visible to JMP. But can it become visible to JMP? In R, I've run the following command:

test1 <- data.frame("x"=c(1,2,3,4),"y"=c(5,6,7,8))

So now "test1" is in the R Global Environment. But for some reason JMP still can't "see" it? Maybe there's something I can do to make this data.frame visible to JMP without having to rerun the R script through the JMP Script dialog box?

I just tried using a connection but it did not fare any better.

I have never encountered this situation before. I have always sent what I need to R, run R scripts, returned what I want, and move on in JMP. 

I am not convinced that it is not possible. I recomment that you contact JMP Technical Support (support@jmp.com) and ask them for help.

drewb
Level I

Thanks for trying this out on your end, Mark! I'll reach out to Technical Support to see what they have to say on this. 

Please post their answer here. New territory!

drewb
Level I

I spoke to JMP Support about this topic; unfortunately, a user isn't able to pull a dataframe from R into JMP the way I was enquiring. From JMP Support:

JMP does not interact with R in this manner. When JMP initializes R, it starts a new session (environment). That session is completely isolated from R meaning, if you were to start a new R session, JMP would not recognize any of the environment variables (global or local). This is why your R data frame is unknown to JMP.

There are a few ways to pull data from R into JMP, but they essentially all require that the dataframe in R is "created" by running a script through the JMP Scripting dialog box. I've been doing option #3 (having R write the dataframe to a csv file, and then opening the csv file with JMP), but option #2 is intriguing. When I tried, this, unfortunately, I ran out of memory on my computer, so this may not be a viable option for extremely large dataframes. These were the suggestions from JMP Support:

1.	Use JMP's R Submit () to create the data frame. The use R Submit () and R Get () to bring the data frame into JMP. This is probably the mostly commonly used approach. 

2.	Use JMP's R Submit () to load the data frame via R and bring it back to JMP.

3.	Lastly, you can also save the data frame from R as a CSV and open it in JMP using JSL's open function.