cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SMW
SMW
Level I

JMP Scripting - New Column Function and Multiple Formula Functions Don't MIX !!!! Interesting Problem !!!!

Hello Community

I have written a script in which I search an open data table for rows which contain text A in column 2 AND text B in column 3.  Using the row numbers, I then save the text from column 7 for all of those rows to a new individual variable.  The problem is I would like to then save the text in column 7 for all those rows in a NewTable with a New Column.  The first column was not a problem as I just list the pairs of texts.

However, I am having a lot of trouble making a New Column containing the text for column 7 of the identified rows.  Its something like this.

Col 2 Col3 ..... Col7

Hair   Red        Pass

Hair   Blue       Pass

Clown Sad      Pass

Clown Joke     Fail

A= dt << get rows where(contains(as column(2),"Hair")
& (contains(as column(3),"Red");

B= dt << get rows where(contains(as column(2),"Clown")
& (contains(as column(3),"Joke");

HairPassFail = (column(7)[A]);

ClownPassFail = (column(7)[B]);

New Table( "Table",Add Rows( 2 ),
      New Column( "TextPairs",Character,"Nominal",
                 Set Values({"Hair-Red","Clown-Joke"})),
      New Column( "PASS/FAIL",continuous,"Nominal", formula(HairPassFail),formula(ClownPassFail))
);

When I show Hair and ClownPassFail, they output the text Pass and Fail respectively. My problem is that as I add new formulas into the New Column for each corresponding rows from the first new colum, the entire column gets overwritten. This is in 10 conditions now 2 for simplicity. So in this example, the output would be

Col1            Col2

Hair-Red     Fail 

Clown-Joke Fail

Instead of Hair-Red Pass.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can create a new column where each successive value is a unique formula variable from the series of rows ?

There must be a much easier way to do this I'm sure. 

Thanks !!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: JMP Scripting - New Column Function and Multiple Formula Functions Don't MIX !!!! Interesting Problem !!!!

A formula column can only have one formula. Usually the formula uses values of other columns on the same row to produce a value.

Craige
pauldeen
Level VI

Re: JMP Scripting - New Column Function and Multiple Formula Functions Don't MIX !!!! Interesting Problem !!!!

You can just built your textpairs column by doing a concatenation of the first two columns. Then for your Pass/fail column you can built an if statement looking at the texpairs column and if the textparis row matches a condition, copy pass/fail column in the cell. Does this need to be scripting or would simple column formulas suffice? if so, share a part of your data table.