cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
swelish
Level II

Is there a way to save JMP table as UTF-8 encoded csv without BOM?

I use JSL to extract and transform a variety of data sources into one consolidated csv file that I output to our BI platform. I found this week that the latest csv output didn't work and the BI platform is indicating it is an encoding issue. Opening previous versions of the csv files in Notepad++ I can see they are encoded using UTF-8. However, the newer csv file is encoded as UTF-8-BOM. I don't know why it changed and is there a way to specify saving a JMP table as a csv without the BOM?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Is there a way to save JMP table as UTF-8 encoded csv without BOM?

Jump adds the BOM, (bite order mark ), because there is a character outside of the 7-bit ASCII range. That means you have a unicode character in one of your strings. One way to remove the bite order mark would be to load the file into a blob, remove the first three bytes with blobpeek, and then rewrite the file from the blob. Load/save textfile() is the function you need, look for the blob option.

Edit textile->textfile

Craige

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Craige_Hales
Super User

Jump adds the BOM, (bite order mark ), because there is a character outside of the 7-bit ASCII range. That means you have a unicode character in one of your strings. One way to remove the bite order mark would be to load the file into a blob, remove the first three bytes with blobpeek, and then rewrite the file from the blob. Load/save textfile() is the function you need, look for the blob option.

Edit textile->textfile

Craige
swelish
Level II

Thank you, Craige. That worked. I didn't need to use the Blob Peek function as the Load Text File included the option to skip the first three bytes: 

Load text file( myFilePath , BLOB(ReadOffsetFromBegin(3) ))

Craige_Hales
Super User

Looking back, I just realized speech to text doesn't handle "byte" correctly. Glad you got something working.
Craige