cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Improve linear model

Hello,

Attached is a Residual by Predicted Plot for some model built on historical data from some process.

When you see such a graph for residuals, what would you recommend to change in the model in order to solve the slope and make residuals be randomly distributed around 0?

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Improve linear model

I retract the idea of no intercept. I also think it is a strong linear effect missing from the model.

View solution in original post

Just reviewed my Fit Model dialogue window and found out "No Intercept" was checked!

Unchecking it resolved the problem, attached is the resolved Residuals Plot.

Can I ask you how did you know that from this plot? Besides tons of experience, that i guess you have...

And, if you see abnormalities in the attached improved plot, I'd also be glad to know.

Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Can you share the data and model specified that resulted in the residual plot you shared? And some context on the practical problem/issue you are trying to resolve? Lacking these three things it's hard to recommend a next step that would achieve your goal.

Thank you for you reply

Unfortunately, the data are sensitive and cannot be shared

i will try to optimize with all the feedbacks i've got

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Understood about the '...sensitive...' nature of your data. Not uncommon. But did you know within the JMP ecosystem there is a pathway to anonymize data that is easy to use and works for many users? It's described here in the JMP documentation: Anonymize Data in JMP 

MRB3855
Super User

Hi @LambdaCapybara4 : As @P_Bartell  indicated, it is hard to diagnose with the limited information given. That said,  my guess would be that your model is missing a predictor.

I retract the idea of no intercept. I also think it is a strong linear effect missing from the model.

Just reviewed my Fit Model dialogue window and found out "No Intercept" was checked!

Unchecking it resolved the problem, attached is the resolved Residuals Plot.

Can I ask you how did you know that from this plot? Besides tons of experience, that i guess you have...

And, if you see abnormalities in the attached improved plot, I'd also be glad to know.

Thanks a lot!

MRB3855
Super User