cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Importing an Excel Worksheet using JMP on MAC

So maybe I'm just tired on a Friday afternoon, but I'm seeing a strange problem when scripting the Open function using JMP (14.2) on MAC.  

Here is a simple script that does what you would expect - it creates a JMP table containing the contents of the sheet1 of the test spreadsheet.

Open(
    "/Users/docs/test.xlsx",
     Worksheets( "sheet1" )
)

But when I call it from a class method it launches the Excel wizard.  I've simplified the problem by just popping the code onto a button and I still have the same problem i.e. the following code renders a window - when I click on the button it launches the Excel wizard.  

New Window("Test",
		ButtonBox("import",
			Open(
				"/Users/docs/test.xlsx",
				Worksheets( "sheet1" )
			)
		)
	)

For the sake of brevity I am not showing all the optional fields associated with the Open function - but even if I import the data manually then use the full source script as the basis of the import, the same problem happens.  On Windows there's no problem.

It doesn't seem to be related to preference settings.  Any ideas? 

-Dave
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Importing an Excel Worksheet using JMP on MAC

I can confirm I see the same thing in JMP 13.2 and 14.2 on Mac (OS X 10.11.6). Really strange.

Possible workaround: I have no idea why, but pressing the button does not launch the Excel Wisard if the Open() function is run via Include().

Save Text File(
    "/Users/ms/Desktop/test6.jsl",
    "Open(\!"/Users/ms/Desktop/test.xlsx\!", Worksheets( \!"Sheet1\!" ))"
);

New Window("Test", Button Box("import", Include("/Users/ms/Desktop/test6.jsl")));

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

I can confirm I see the same thing in JMP 13.2 and 14.2 on Mac (OS X 10.11.6). Really strange.

Possible workaround: I have no idea why, but pressing the button does not launch the Excel Wisard if the Open() function is run via Include().

Save Text File(
    "/Users/ms/Desktop/test6.jsl",
    "Open(\!"/Users/ms/Desktop/test.xlsx\!", Worksheets( \!"Sheet1\!" ))"
);

New Window("Test", Button Box("import", Include("/Users/ms/Desktop/test6.jsl")));

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Thanks - I appreciate the confirmation.  I'll take a look to see whether I can implement a workaround based on using an include file. 

-Dave