cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
surfacethought
Level III

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but is there anyway to encode the Ei(x) function in JMP.

The Ei(X) function is (I guess) a fairly rare function. At least I've never had to deal with it before. But it has popped up in an analysis I am doing, I am wondering if there is anyway to encode it        into a formula in JMP. Clearly, it isn't in there by default, but is there a way to manually enter this:

\mbox{Ei}(x)=\int_{-\infty}^x\frac{e^t}t\,dt.\,
Into a formula column? Thanks in advance.
--SurfaceThought
13 REPLIES 13
pmroz
Super User

Re: I know this is a bit of a stretch, but is there anyway to encode the Ei(x) function in JMP.

They're pretty much completely different languages.  If I have some free time (hah) I'll take a stab at converting it. 

stevedenham
Level II

Re: I know this is a bit of a stretch, but is there anyway to encode the Ei(x) function in JMP.

I think there is an R package that will do the integration.  Would that be easier to implement than re-coding?

Steve Denham

pmroz
Super User

OK here's a JSL implementation of the Fortran code.  The code runs, but you'll need to test it out to make sure the numbers are good.  It's pretty much a straight conversion of the Fortran program.  Interesting exercise!

surfacethought
Level III

PMroz,

This is incredible! It works flawlessly! This is certainly beer-worthy work, if you think of a way I can buy you one let me know

--SurfaceThought