Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SDF1
Super User

How to use a column to "Value Order" another column

Dear JMP Community,

Is it possible to use the numerical values (integers) of one column as a way to "Value Order" another column?

I have a text column that I'd like to have ordered according to another column that contains integers. As an example, I have a column called :Text and one called :Level.

DiedrichSchmidt_0-1609862901939.png

By default, JMP orders the "Value Order" column property as such:

DiedrichSchmidt_1-1609862962549.png

I'd prefer to have it ordered like this:

DiedrichSchmidt_2-1609863014267.png

Which, in my simple example is the same order as the column :Level. I can do this manually of course, but in my real data table, I have a text column with several dozens of entries that I'd prefer to not do manually, but instead use the column :Level to set the "Value Order" property of the :Text column.

Is there a way to script this or do it through a GUI within JMP?

Thanks!,

DS

14 REPLIES 14
SDF1
Super User

Re: How to use a column to "Value Order" another column

Hi @txnelson ,

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately this solution doesn't work with the :Text column. If I sort the table according to the :Level column, and then apply the "Row Order Levels" as you suggest for the value order of the :Text column, it still keeps the alpha-ordering of the :Text column, meaning that AA still comes after A and so on.

The other "problem" is that it messes up the rows from the original data table, which are currently sorted by date. The :Text and :Level columns can be scattered throughout the dates and sometimes keeping the table date-sorted helps out. It's not really a big problem, but I know that other users who would then be accessing the data table won't like it.

Thanks!,

DS

txnelson
Super User

I made an error in my description of what to do.  Here is an example using the Big Class data table

1. I sorted the data table by Heigh     torder1.PNG
  2. I then went into the column property for the Name column and selected Row Order Levels, AND I unselected Custom Order                                                                                    order2.PNG
  3. I then opened Graph Builder and dragged the Name Column to the X Axis, and as can be seen, the order of the X axis is the Row Order of the Names                                   order3.PNG
Jim
SDF1
Super User

Hi, yes, I can see now why you need to uncheck the custom order check box. That makes sense. The nice thing about the way jthi does it is that no matter the sorting of the data table, it maintains the desired value ordering of the :Text column.
txnelson
Super User

I agree, @jthi solution is best.  Some folks don't like JSL.  Lots of folks are not aware of the Row Order Levels.  Excel users (a generalization comment is coming) would like to have Row Order Levels as the default.  Thus, that is my motivation to respond to your fine discussion question.

Jim
SDF1
Super User

Hi @ron_horne ,

Thanks for your feedback. I am familiar with that method for making a Pareto-like plot in Graph Builder; have used it many times, and it's quite helpful. Unfortunately, I am doing a lot of other evaluations with the data table than just the data visualization, so it would help to have a solution that is portable and scalable to tables with thousands of rows and several dozen text options. I haven't tried the other two methods yet, but will given them a shot.

Thanks!,

DS