cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to make formula columns stand out

I am trying to update and understand a very large old data set, some of the data comes from other workbooks and some of it is calculated from multiple columns. I would like a way to highlight or otherwise identify columns that are derivatives of other columns vs ones where the data is entered. Is there anyway to do this in JMP?

Would also be nice to make some columns into a block. In excel I would add a thick boarder around a group of columns, say all that come from one sheet to visually break apart the data.

I have 150 columns and find myself getting lost on the page often. 

Thanks for any advise. Currently running JMP16 if that matters. 

2 REPLIES 2
TomF
Level II

Re: How to make formula columns stand out

If a column has a formula in it, it will have a blue "plus" icon next to the column name in the column list on the left.

I don't know anyway to make the borders you are describing like in Excel, but here are two thing I've found very helpful when working with tables with many columns:

• Grouping columns - select a few columns in the column list>right click>"Group Columns".  This makes them much easier to manage in the column list.
  • Hiding columns - If you have 100 columns but are currently only focused on the first and last five, you can select the middle 90 in the column list>right click>"Hide/Unhide". 

Both these only work through right clicking in the column list or through the menu at top -- not by right clicking on the columns themselves.

jthi
Super User

Re: How to make formula columns stand out

Besides TomF's great suggestions of using column groups and hiding columns, one more option would be to color cells or the text in cells (groups and hiding are better options as they are on column level).

Also one could script a user interface, which would show you a list of your columns and their properties. Here is very quick example but maybe gives an idea:

Names Default To Here(1);

dt = Current Data Table();

properties_to_collect = {"Formula"};

dt_col_properties = New Table("Table Properties", 
	New Column("Column", Character, Nominal),
	New Column("Data type", Character, Nominal),
	New Column("Modeling Type", Character, Nominal),
	New Column("Formula", Character, Nominal),
	invisible
);

For Each({col_name, idx}, dt << Get Column Names("String"),
	dt_col_properties << Add Row(1);
	dt_col_properties[idx, "Column"] = col_name;
	dt_col_properties[idx, "Data Type"] = Column(dt, col_name) << Get Data Type;
	dt_col_properties[idx, "Modeling Type"] = Column(dt, col_name) << Get Modeling Type;
	dt_col_properties[idx, "Formula"] = If(IsEmpty(Column(dt, col_name) << Get Property("Formula")), "No", "Yes");
);

f = Function({a}, 
	sel_rows = dt_col_properties << Get Selected Rows;
	sel_cols = dt_col_properties[sel_rows, "Column"];
	dt << Select Columns(sel_cols);
	dt << Next Selected Column;
);

rs = dt_col_properties << make row state handler(f);

nw = New Window("Cols",
	dtb = Data Table Box(dt_col_properties);
);
dtb << Set Selectable Rows(1);