cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
clemaigre
Level I

How to make error bars appear on a range plot ?

Hello,

I would like to make a range plot with error bars appearing. I have a mean of initial times and final times, for two proteins, to determine the range value. I selected confidence interval in "error bars" option but nothing appeared. Does someone have a tip to do that?

This what I get now : 

Rangeplot.PNG

This is what I would like to get :

Rangeplot+errorbars.jpg

Thank you!

Camille

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How to make error bars appear on a range plot ?

Is this plot close to what you want?

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 10.28.26 AM.png

Here is the JSL to reproduce this example

Names Default to Here( 1 );

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 528, 444 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :sex ), Y( :height ), Y( :weight, Position( 1 ) ) ),
	Elements(
		Line( X, Y( 1 ), Y( 2 ), Legend( 5 ), Error Interval( "Standard Error" ) )
	),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "Graph Builder", FrameBox, {Reference Line Order( 4 )} )
	)
);
clemaigre
Level I

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. It's close but, it's not exactly what I want. In my case, datas are apparition time (numerical, continous), departure time (numerical, continous) and protein (character, nominal). I would like to plot the duration of presence according to the protein. To somehow adapt it to your example, it is like I want a line between height and weight according to the sex, and not between height-height and weight-weight.

Camille

OK, that clarifies your goal. You need to stack the two continuous data columns. I stacked :height and :weight. The new continuous data column is named Data by default, but you can assign any name you like. The original continuous variables are recorded in a new nominal data column named Label by default. Here is a new plot using these variables:

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.45.08 AM.png

I. used :sex in the Group X plotting role. Here is a version where I used :sex in the Overlay role.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 10.48.46 AM.png

I suggest that you spend time studying the Essential Graphing guide in JMP Help. Graph Builder cannot make every plot, but it can make very many plots. But you have to learn about graphing elements, order of entry, and element properties to make the plot that you want This approach is very different from the 'choose from a gallery' approach used elsewhere. It is worth learning if you want to make plots with JMP.