cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Velagandula
Level II

How to generate a data set distributed according to a specified life distribution

Is there a way to do a  Monte Carlo simulation to generate a single data set containing values that are distributed according to a specified life distribution such as Weibull or Normal? I also want this to be repeatable by specifying a starting see.  How can I achieve this in JMP? A formula or a JMP script would suffice.  For example, I want to create a dataset that follows a Weibull distribution with beta of 3.5 and eta of 15,000.  Appreciate the help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to generate a data set distributed according to a specified life distribution

Here is a list of the Random Number functions that can be used to generate data of specific distributions.

random.PNG

The Random Reset() function can be used to set the initial seed to whatever value one wants.

Several of the JMP Platforms allow for simulation, such as the Distribution Platform.  You can read about it in the Basic Analysis document found in the JMP Documentation Library available under the Help pull down menu

Jim

View solution in original post

Velagandula
Level II

Re: How to generate a data set distributed according to a specified life distribution

Thank you so much for such quick response and help! This is exactly what I was looking for.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
peng_liu
Staff

Since you need it to be repeatable, I would suggest using JSL.

random reset(55);
Y = J(100,1);
for (i=1,i<=100,i++,Y[i]=random weibull(3.5,15000));
dt = as table(Y);

You may want to check out the random function category in the JMP Scripting Index:

peng_liu_0-1603907872669.png

You may also want to check out how to work with formula column directly if your hands are not tied to a fixed seed:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.2/index.shtml#page/jmp/create-a-formula.shtml

txnelson
Super User

Here is a list of the Random Number functions that can be used to generate data of specific distributions.

random.PNG

The Random Reset() function can be used to set the initial seed to whatever value one wants.

Several of the JMP Platforms allow for simulation, such as the Distribution Platform.  You can read about it in the Basic Analysis document found in the JMP Documentation Library available under the Help pull down menu

Jim
Velagandula
Level II

Thank you so much for such quick response and help! This is exactly what I was looking for.