cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bobmorrane
Level V

How to display variables in a dialog box

Hello everyone,

I am struggling to understand the logic with the JSL language... I have tried to look for this in the help/ scritping menus but there is just too much information there...

How do you display a variable in a dialog box ? I'm using instructions like

HList ("Some message" ),
HList ( "Another message"),
HList ( "blablabla"),
HList(variable),

The messages between " " display fine, but whenever I try to use a variable I just get error messages from the debugger. Same thing when I tried to display a cell from the current data table.

So, what is the correct spelling there ?

~~Bob~~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to display variables in a dialog box

You need to use specialized objects called display boxes to present or collect information in a dialog box or any other window that you create. For example, use the Text Box( "text" ) function to create the object that displays static character strings in a window.

text = "My very important message!";

New Window( "See my message!",
  Text Box( text )
);

The H List Box() function is responsible for organizing the display boxes nested inside it in a horizontal layout.

See Help > Books > Scripting Guide. There are a few chapters about creating windows and the display boxes that you might find useful.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You need to use specialized objects called display boxes to present or collect information in a dialog box or any other window that you create. For example, use the Text Box( "text" ) function to create the object that displays static character strings in a window.

text = "My very important message!";

New Window( "See my message!",
  Text Box( text )
);

The H List Box() function is responsible for organizing the display boxes nested inside it in a horizontal layout.

See Help > Books > Scripting Guide. There are a few chapters about creating windows and the display boxes that you might find useful.

bobmorrane
Level V

Aaaah, I see. Thanks @Mark_Bailey!
~~Bob~~
bobmorrane
Level V

Thanks markbailey,

forgot to reply to this thread. I have come a long way since posting this question. At the time I was tryng to iterate on existinng scripts that were using the infamous dialog() function. After reading that chapter in the Scripting guide, everything became clear!!

~~Bob~~