cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bobmorrane
Level V

How to display variables in a dialog box

Hello everyone,

I am struggling to understand the logic with the JSL language... I have tried to look for this in the help/ scritping menus but there is just too much information there...

How do you display a variable in a dialog box ? I'm using instructions like

HList ("Some message" ),
HList ( "Another message"),
HList ( "blablabla"),
HList(variable),

The messages between " " display fine, but whenever I try to use a variable I just get error messages from the debugger. Same thing when I tried to display a cell from the current data table.

So, what is the correct spelling there ?

~~Bob~~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to display variables in a dialog box

You need to use specialized objects called display boxes to present or collect information in a dialog box or any other window that you create. For example, use the Text Box( "text" ) function to create the object that displays static character strings in a window.

text = "My very important message!";

New Window( "See my message!",
  Text Box( text )
);

The H List Box() function is responsible for organizing the display boxes nested inside it in a horizontal layout.

See Help > Books > Scripting Guide. There are a few chapters about creating windows and the display boxes that you might find useful.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

You need to use specialized objects called display boxes to present or collect information in a dialog box or any other window that you create. For example, use the Text Box( "text" ) function to create the object that displays static character strings in a window.

text = "My very important message!";

New Window( "See my message!",
  Text Box( text )
);

The H List Box() function is responsible for organizing the display boxes nested inside it in a horizontal layout.

See Help > Books > Scripting Guide. There are a few chapters about creating windows and the display boxes that you might find useful.

bobmorrane
Level V

Aaaah, I see. Thanks @Mark_Bailey!
~~Bob~~
bobmorrane
Level V

Thanks markbailey,

forgot to reply to this thread. I have come a long way since posting this question. At the time I was tryng to iterate on existinng scripts that were using the infamous dialog() function. After reading that chapter in the Scripting guide, everything became clear!!

~~Bob~~