cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Momentum
Level II

How to Overlay scatterplot of data pairs with separate axes

I have 7 data sets each with two columns ([Wavelength] and [Absorbance]) comprising continuous numeric data types. I want to overlay the 7 scatter plots showing [Wavelength] on the x-axis and [Absorbance] on the y-axis. Each pair has its own [Wavelength] data interval and range. Currently it is all in the same table (so 14 columns) but I am happy to rearrange data if that is necessary. Please advise. 

3 REPLIES 3
jthi
Super User

Re: How to Overlay scatterplot of data pairs with separate axes

If you have data like this

jthi_0-1696911968730.png

Stack it 

jthi_1-1696911983056.png

Then create grouping column (depends on how you have named your columns), remove label columns and rename data columns

jthi_2-1696912071639.png

and then you should be able to plot them

jthi_3-1696912085460.png

You can also place group on Wrap, Group X/Y or Page depending on your data and what you are trying to plot

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

For 7 distinct combinations which have to be plottet at once, @jthi 's approach is definitely the best:
"Just" reshape the data and let GraphBuilder do the job.

There are other cases, where it may be preferential to still use the same table and accept some manual effort.

Then you can just plot the points twice - with twice all your X values AND all your Y values. Then the plot will look really crowded, because you will get point for every combination of X and Y:

hogi_0-1705092733628.png

No, open the settings menu of each points plots and just select one combination:

hogi_1-1705092788341.png

Then you will get a plot like this:

hogi_2-1705092802584.png

hogi
Level XI

A third option:
Generate both plots that you want to overlay and right click into the plot region. Then go to Edit/n Copy Frame Contents - and paste it into the other plot.

Then both plots will show up as an overlay within the same plot.

Unfortunately, the plot cannot be saved.

On the other hand, this is the fastest way to overlay 2 plots with data from different tables - almost the same way one is used to do this Excel.

hogi_3-1705092913598.png