cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
noblea30
Level I

How do I use x-axis label instead of a legend in graph builder box plot?

I would like to have a script that automatically plots several box plots together in jmp.  I am able to come close to what I need, but I don't want to use the legend.  I would like to use the x-axis to label instead.  Below is what I have been able to achieve.  All I need to change is to remove the legend(that's easy) and put the "Col1", "Col2", and Col3" label on the x-axis (can't figure this part out). 

The motivation for this change is that I often have a larger number of columns to plot and can't tell which column is which from the color in the legend.  The solution will eventually need to be in JSL, but if I can get it to work manually, it should be simple to extract the script and do it in JSL.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do I use x-axis label instead of a legend in graph builder box plot?

The easiest method is to stack your columns first. Then use Data for Y and label for X.  

The original plot you created all the points are plotted at zero and the boxplots are offset from the points. There is an X-axis but the range is like -0.5 to 0.5.  You could create some custom labeling to emulate an x-axis but positioning etc, will take a bit of scripting. 

By using the stacked columns the points and box plots are aligned, etc.  

image.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Double click on the legend, then edit the legend names.

image.png

The JSL will look like this

Graph Builder(
	Size( 527, 418 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( Y( :Col 1 ), Y( :Col 2, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :Col 3, Position( 1 ) ) ),
	Elements( Box Plot( Y( 1 ), Y( 2 ), Y( 3 ), Legend( 3 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"400",
			ScaleBox,
			{Legend Model(
				Level Name( 0, "my name1", Item ID( "Col 1", 1 ) ),
				Level Name( 1, "my name 2", Item ID( "Col 2", 1 ) ),
				Level Name( 2, "my name 3", Item ID( "Col 3", 1 ) )
			)}
		)
	)
)

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Ignore the last post, I misread your request.

gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

The easiest method is to stack your columns first. Then use Data for Y and label for X.  

The original plot you created all the points are plotted at zero and the boxplots are offset from the points. There is an X-axis but the range is like -0.5 to 0.5.  You could create some custom labeling to emulate an x-axis but positioning etc, will take a bit of scripting. 

By using the stacked columns the points and box plots are aligned, etc.  

image.png