cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TheRealYeti
Level II

How do I stop UI from looking like it hang up while doing long for loop operation

I made I UI that lets the user choose which process, temperature and voltage to include in the computation of Cpk, the script will iterate over each combination of process, temperature and voltage. I noticed that the UI hangs up while it is doing its operation. Is there a way to avoid this? I think a function similar to DoEvents in vb6 or better, a background process worker ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: How do I stop UI from looking like it hang up while doing long for loop operation

If you're looping in JSL you could add calls to caption() to inform the user of progress.

for (i = 1, i <= 1000000, i++,
	a = i*2;
	b = a^i;
	if (mod(i, 1000) == 0,
		caption("Processing ... " || char(i));
		wait(0);
	);
);
caption(remove);

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do I stop UI from looking like it hang up while doing long for loop operation

@TheRealYeti ,

I'll attack your question from another direction, your script might be inefficient. I have seen scripts that took hours to run, rewritten to run in a minute or two. Without more details, it is difficult to assess that.

Given that you know vb6, you could get the user input and your script could generate a JSL script to do the work, but run it via VB6 that uses DoEvents.  I do not know that function nor am I a VB expert.

The JMP documentation "Automation Reference" points you to many of the JMP library functions exposed to VB.

To create a JMP session and make it visible, add the following code to your VB

script.

Dim MyJMP As JMP.Application

Dim JMPDoc As JMP.Document

Set MyJMP = CreateObject("JMP.Application")

MyJMP.Visible = True

The JMP library function, Run JSL, 

Run JSL file

Not sure if any of that helps. 

TheRealYeti
Level II

My code runs in under a minute. My concern is that during the process, the GUI (made in JSL) would look like it stopped responding. I think  this is because the script and the GUI both run in the same thread (I could be wrong). In VB6, adding DoEvents command inside the for loop can be a quick solution, it allows the UI to update its elements and appear responsive but the total operation would take longer.

I'd like the script to be integrated in JMP itself and making it an add-in so other users can just install it and reuse it. If I go down the VB6 path, I'd rather do it completely in VB6, vs generating JSL script using VB6 then execute it. Thank you for giving different approach I appreciate every feedback. :)

pmroz
Super User

If you're looping in JSL you could add calls to caption() to inform the user of progress.

for (i = 1, i <= 1000000, i++,
	a = i*2;
	b = a^i;
	if (mod(i, 1000) == 0,
		caption("Processing ... " || char(i));
		wait(0);
	);
);
caption(remove);
TheRealYeti
Level II

It looks like wait is what I need!
I will take a look at @David's suggestion next.

Thanks!
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

If you are performing a number of time consuming discrete tasks you can use this status widget:

Activity Status Class 

It will give the user status of progress and force screen updates.

-Dave
Craige_Hales
Super User

or modify code like Progress Bar  to meet your needs. @David_Burnham 's status class looks nice too!

Craige