cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TheEcologist
Level II

How do I save hover labels in interactive html report?

I'm trying to save hover labels as an interactive feature in an html report. The hover labels contain important references to the source data that provide the full picture of the underlying dynamics. When I save my graph builder chart as an 'interactive html report' it says that hover labels are not a supported feature. Is there a way to save my plot as 'interactive' so that non-JMP users can move the cursor over any given point and see the point meta data? Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I save hover labels in interactive html report?

Hi @TheEcologist , 

Thank you for posting this question. Hover labels are generally supported in Interactive HTML. So there might be something specific about how they are being generated in JMP for your report that prevents them from being supported in Interactive HTML. 

If you would, please look in JMP's Log (View> Log) after you export to Interactive HTML. There should be one or more lines starting with "Interactive HTML:". Please copy them here in a reply and let me know what version of JMP you are using.  I may be able to help you modify your report so that Hover Labels will be supported.

Thanks, 

~John 

TheEcologist
Level II

@John_Powell_JMP thank you for your prompt reply! I do not see the 'log' under View. I am running JMP Pro 16.1 on a mac. 

TheEcologist
Level II

@John_Powell_JMP  Ah, the log is under 'Window.' Here is the output:

-Controls are not interactive. 

-Unsupported display type: ListBoxBox

-Unsupported display type: PropertyEditorBox

- Controls are not interactive.

-Color statistics on nominal and ordinal data types are not fully supported. 

- Graphs with nested Y and Order By are not interactive. 

-Heatmaps with size roles are not interactive. 

-Unsupported legend style. 

Do any of these errors pertain to the hover label? 

Sorry, I forgot to mention that if you are on the Mac, the Log is under the Window menu. I'm glad you found it. 

Although those log messages don't mention hover labels explicitly, they are telling us that there are features or combinations of conditions in the graph that are not supported in Interactive HTML  This prevents all interactions with the graph including the display of hover labels.  

The two messages indicating this are:

-Graphs with nested Y and Order By are not interactive. 

-Heatmaps with size roles are not interactive. 

Interactive HTML cannot support all the combinations of features of JMP. Both of these are such limitations.

For the first, instead of the two variables on the Y Axis, you could try applying the left most variable to a Y Group role. This will avoid the nested Y part of that limitation.

The second message is due to a variable applied to the Size role with the heatmap element. To avoid this limitation, you would either need to choose another element type or remove the variable from the Size role. Unfortunately, neither of these will result in a graph that looks like the one in your image. For example, if you choose to remove the size role, each heatmap cell will be the same size. 

~John