cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How do I copy my JMP to a new laptop?

Hi JMP Team, I am looking for some help. I have a new laptop, and have installed JMP17 (same version as old laptop), but I was wondering if there is a way to copy over a folder or file from the old laptop so that all my settings and add-ins and tool bars etc. would appear on the new laptop JMP? It would be very useful to copy over some settings file or a user folder to the new laptop and restart JMP instead of having to reinstall all the custom things I have accumulated over the years. Thanks in advance. 
All the best
Cillian

2 REPLIES 2
hogi
Level XII

Re: How do I copy my JMP to a new laptop?

For the Preferences,  @julian 's Preferences Manager (with import/export) is the right tool.

For the AddIns just go to the AddIns Folder and copy all subfolder to the new computer:

hogi_0-1725557167949.pnghogi_2-1725557218420.png

this might be the right time to upgrade to JMP18. With the upgrade (and the change from SAS to JMP) you will lose the preferences again.

jthi
Super User

Re: How do I copy my JMP to a new laptop?

These are for JMP17 (should also work for older JMP versions but not for JMP18 (it has a bit different paths)) on Windows. Before doing any of these steps, take backups of the current files.

Run JMP once on the new laptop and make small change to preferences.

If the username will be the same, you should get quite far if you just copy JMP folder from %appdata%/SAS (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SAS). Some of these files could potentially break something, so you might just want to copy over files one by one (haven't yet happened to me).

jthi_0-1725560669060.png

If you have JMP Pro you will most likely want to copy also that (if you have JMPPro you want to copy "non-pro" folder as it contains a lot of needed files)

If the username changes (or paths in other way) you will have to fix addinRegistry.xml file manually (or reinstall addins). You can take a peek into different files if you wish to see what they store. Below are few files which I think contain information you want to move over

In addition to that if you might have some files saved to your JMP installation folder (Maps come to my mind) which you might want to check. There could also be some files "hidden" in program data (%programdata%/SAS).

Recent files won't be moved over as those are stored to registry (you can get them from there if you really want to).

-Jarmo