cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MKinninmonth
Level II

How do I Add Context to Text Explorer Results?

I am new to JMP and just starting to use the Text Explorer to look for insights in free text responses from consumer research studies.

Once the analysis has identified the key terms found in the responses is there an automated way to look at the most common context for each term?

For example if the consumer study was looking at the performance of a new paper towel we would expect the term "absorb" or related strings to show up heavily but the term list does not let us know if it is in the context of "towel absorbed well" or "this did not absorb liquids". What I am envisaging is a "word tree" which has the selected term in the middle and then branches showing the words that were within a distance of 3-5 words, possibly scaling the size of the words by the number of times they appear.

I presume I can get a similar effect by creating a subset of the data that just has rows where absorb is present in the text and re-running text analysis to get word clouds associated with absorb, but it would be helpful if there was an inbuilt tool to explore the context of words more efficiently.

I know JMP pro provides sentiment analysis but we do not have a pro subscription unfortunately.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I Add Context to Text Explorer Results?

You might use the filter at the top of the Phrase List to enter 'absorb' and see the phrases built using that term. You can also use the Show Text command to view the highlighted term in the selected documents.

There is no word tree as you describe or way to define patterns that include specific terms within a specified distance.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You might use the filter at the top of the Phrase List to enter 'absorb' and see the phrases built using that term. You can also use the Show Text command to view the highlighted term in the selected documents.

There is no word tree as you describe or way to define patterns that include specific terms within a specified distance.

MKinninmonth
Level II

Thank you Mark, the filter function seems to give me most of the context I need for now.