cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Asi
Asi
Level I

How can I use of Silhouette, Elbow, or other methods to specify the number of clusters?

How can I use of Silhouette Method, Elbow Method, or other methods to specify the number of clusters by JMP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: How can I use of Silhouette, Elbow, or other methods to specify the number of clusters?

Hello @Asi,

Short answer: To my best knowledge, JMP doesn't use by default Silhouette Score or Elbow method. You'll have to write the script to use these methods.

Longer answer : In JMP, you have access to 3 clustering algorithms (+ latent class analysis and cluster variables):

- Hierarchical clustering,  

- K-means, where the criterion for best number of clusters k is CCC (Cubic Cluster Criterion), more infos here : https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=emref&docsetTarget=n1dm4owbc3ka5jn11yjkod7ov1va.htm&docsetVe... 

- Normal mixtures, where the criterion for best number of clusters is AICc (Corrected Akaike Information Criteron) and BIC (Bayesian Information Criterion).

You can find more infos on this excellent JMP Blog post : Clustering methods for unsupervised machine learning (jmp.com)
Hope this will help you !

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_G
Super User

Re: How can I use of Silhouette, Elbow, or other methods to specify the number of clusters?

Hello @Asi,

Short answer: To my best knowledge, JMP doesn't use by default Silhouette Score or Elbow method. You'll have to write the script to use these methods.

Longer answer : In JMP, you have access to 3 clustering algorithms (+ latent class analysis and cluster variables):

- Hierarchical clustering,  

- K-means, where the criterion for best number of clusters k is CCC (Cubic Cluster Criterion), more infos here : https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=emref&docsetTarget=n1dm4owbc3ka5jn11yjkod7ov1va.htm&docsetVe... 

- Normal mixtures, where the criterion for best number of clusters is AICc (Corrected Akaike Information Criteron) and BIC (Bayesian Information Criterion).

You can find more infos on this excellent JMP Blog post : Clustering methods for unsupervised machine learning (jmp.com)
Hope this will help you !

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
Asi
Asi
Level I

Hello Victor, Thanks a lot for the good solution!