cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Bin_JMPspace
Level I

How can I loop through multiple csv files and select them base on specific file name?

Here is my code:

path = "/users/BOT/Test_files/";
Set File Search Path( mypath );

// filter out all csv files in the path that contains "Pass" &&  Not contains "Conditional_Pass" or "Fail" in file name
y = Files In Directory( mypath );

For( i = N Items( y ), i > 0, i--,
	If( (Ends With( y[i], ".csv" ) & Contains( y[i], "Pass" ) & Not( Contains( y[i], "Conditional_Pass" ) ) & Not( Contains( y[i], "Fail" ) )),
		Remove From( y, i )
	)
);
n = N Items( y );

Keep getting below error as screenshot, is it because the Files In Directory() function being deprecated?

Funny thing is above codes used to work for JMP16, below error pops out after I upgrade to JMP17 yesterday.

Bin_JMPspace_0-1728650929990.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How can I loop through multiple csv files and select them base on specific file name?

I think you have a data table open with a column named Y. JSL is trying to use the table's column, which is not what you want. Either close the table, or change the name in either the table or the script, or use scoping to tell JMP which you mean.

This example is starting JMP fresh before Y is in any namespace.

capture.png

@Audrey_Shull  - That error dialog would be improved 100% if it named the table the variable is coming from.

Craige

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jthi
Super User

Re: How can I loop through multiple csv files and select them base on specific file name?

You are most likely getting that error as you are removing same list you are looping over. For this type of filtering I would suggest using Filter Each instead of For loop.

Also, have you tried using Multiple File Import?

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XII

please check path vs. mypath

besides that you could use Filter Each instead of the for loop:

//path = "/users/BOT/Test_files/";
mypath = "/users/BOT/Test_files/";

y = Files In Directory( mypath );

y = filter each({fn}, y, Ends With( fn, ".csv" ) & Contains( fn, "Pass" ) & Not( Contains( fn, "Conditional_Pass" ) ) & Not( Contains( fn, "Fail" ) ) )
hogi
Level XII

You could take the next step as well and upgrade to JMP18 -  with the option to use a File List in MultiFileImport.

For some cases, this will speed up the data import by orders of magnitude!

y= Transform each ({fn}, y, mypath || fn);
Eval(Eval Expr (Multiple File Import(
	<<Set Use File List( 1 ),
	<<Set File List( Expr(y))
);

At the moment, Filelist +  MultiFileImport needs the complicate Eval(Eval Expr(... Expr() ...)).
This will get fixed in a future release of JMP.

Bin_JMPspace
Level I

Thanks hog, the filter each function also gives me some inspiration.

Bin_JMPspace
Level I

Hey jthi, thank you.
Agree the Multi File Import is a good way to parse the files, faster than my current method.

Craige_Hales
Super User

I think you have a data table open with a column named Y. JSL is trying to use the table's column, which is not what you want. Either close the table, or change the name in either the table or the script, or use scoping to tell JMP which you mean.

This example is starting JMP fresh before Y is in any namespace.

capture.png

@Audrey_Shull  - That error dialog would be improved 100% if it named the table the variable is coming from.

Craige
Bin_JMPspace
Level I

Thanks Craige, yes I found my bug a day ago and solved it, just like your description.