cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How can I get an epsilon with a dot above in JMP?

Hi,

I would like to use an epsilon with a dot above in JMP, so I can directly use plots from JMP in publications and reports. A "dot above" is often used to indicate a derivative wrt. time.

I tried to use the Character Map from Windows to combine the "epsilon" and "dot above" and copy that to JMP but always end up with a dot at the position of the superscript instead of above: ε˙. What I would need is more like this έ but with a dot instead of an accent. Is there a way to do this?

@HadleyMyers 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How can I get an epsilon with a dot above in JMP?

Hi,

Sort of like this:

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$Sample_Data/Big Class.jmp" );

dt<<Graph Builder(
	Size( 518, 448 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ) ),
	Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 3 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 4 ) ) ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch( {}, "X title", TextEditBox, {Set Text( "weight (ẇ)" )} ),
		Dispatch( {}, "Y title", TextEditBox, {Set Text( "height (ḣ)" )} )
	)
);

I used this site to get the characters: https://graphemica.com/ I then copy and pasted them into the graph.  Does this help?

@HadleyMyersThanks, that's a quick reply. I'm impressed!

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I could find ġ and without problem, but version with a "dot above" don't seem to exist for the Greek letters (I checked epsilon, alpha and omega). There are many versions with different accents but no simple dot.

(The website seems to list all the symbols/letters for which there is a unicode.)

Hi,

I googled "Epsilon dot" and managed to find an image, which I saved into the table below:

New Table( "Epsilon dot",
	Add Rows( 1 ),
	New Column( "Column 1",
		Expression,
		"None",
		Set Values(
			{New Image(
				Char To Blob(
					"1iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAABQAAAAdCAYAAACqhkzFAAAABGdBTUEAALGPC/xhBQAAAAlwSFlzAAAOwgAADsIBFShKgAAAAMlJREFUSEvtlO0JwyAQhl3BGVzBHZzFUdzADZzACVwgC2QDd7jySiOGXknTM4FCH7g/B3m4Dy+KJnOv0DlHSilKKT0zx7wVllKaDAHxp9xX4bf8oLDWSjHGNj+tdV8MFxy77LIsZIxhP+aCo2fXde0Vobqcc6v2LF3ove8yCU2ISrY20LaEJtyuAvOT0oQhhCntgp3wbHBcK5zW8vSljM8GD1xCH8TUhw3G07PWyk8P4EqO/jBjcLxkURW2jtY5yRgcfFbAXyiF6AFE5uCy/rA1GQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==",
					"base64compressed"
				),
				"png"
			)}
		)
	)
)

What I'm thinking is we make a graph and somehow add this to the axis, maybe by appending a picture box beside the text edit box?  I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.  In the meantime, maybe someone else will jump in with a good solution.

I think that might work for the plots. (One would to do that individually for every plot, I assume?) But then there would be different symbols in the tables and the plots, right? So if I wanted to also reproduce tables, I would need to adapt them as well..

Hi,

It doesn't look like there is a straightforward way of doing exactly what you are looking for, use epsilon-dot as a symbol in a column heading.  There may be ways of working around this, but probably the simplest thing to do would be to use another symbol, if that is an option:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notation_for_differentiation

For the time being I have settled for using έ.

Craige_Hales
Super User

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Unicode supports the definition of modifier symbols such as 'dot above' - but in JMP they don't seem to render the way you would want (you get the dot, and it is above, but its not above the preceding character in the unicode string, as you would want.

https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+02D9

-Dave