cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bio_grad
Level III

Help with design/analysis of repeated-measures protocol

Hello,

I am preparing to design experiments for my research protocol and I am trying to settle on a model to analyze my data with. Below is my design setup:

Response variable: heart-rate

Random factor: subject

Fixed factor: treatment (control, treatment A, treatment B)

Goal: determine statistically significant factor/interaction effects deviating from baseline heart-rate

Protocol:

1. Record baseline heart-rate for 60 minutes prior to administration of treatment
  2. Record heart-rate for 20 minutes during 20 minutes of treatment administration
  3. Record heart-rate for 60 minutes after treatment administration

I am confused because there are a variety of approaches used in the literature and there seems to be conflicting advice online regarding repeated-measures data analysis. I have read about the major benefits of using a Generalized Linear Mixed Model (GLMM) as opposed to a repeated-measures ANOVA. I am just a bit stuck with the practical application of this GLMM with data collected using my protocol.

I was thinking of averaging the recorded heart-rate into 5 minute bins, which would give me 12 baseline, 4 during treatment, and 12 post-treatment data points per subject. No real rhyme or reason why I picked 5 minutes. Most of the literature normalizes subject heart-rates by the first 5 minute bin (%) before analyzing but I am weary to do this as it does not allow for subject-to-subject comparisons of heart-rate levels.

Now, I am kind of stuck and don't know how to proceed or understand what kind of model I have.

Hoping that there might be someone out there familiar with this type of protocol that could lend a hand.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

10 REPLIES 10
bio_grad
Level III

Re: Help with design/analysis of repeated-measures protocol

Thanks for your help!