cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BHarris
Level VI

Graph Builder "Copy Graph" button

Why is there no "Copy Graph" button in Graph Builder?  It seems like the most intuitive thing to have in the interface because in almost every case (for us at least), once we have a graph we like, we want to copy/paste it to PowerPoint, Word, etc.

I was going to post this the other day, but then I thought -- what if just ctrl-c (cmd-c) copied the graph.  So I tried it and it worked!

But when I went in to try it today, it didn't work, it just copied the text "Graph Builder" and some empty lines.  I tried to change the focus in Graph Builder but that didn't do anything -- so I'm not sure what I did differently yesterday.

I know right-clicking in the empty area under the legend has a "copy picture" button, but sometimes if the legend fills up that space I can't find anywhere to click that gives me that option.  And that option has a bug in it that cuts off the x-axis label (which I've reported).

What am I missing here?

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: Graph Builder "Copy Graph" button

What you are missing is the Selection Tool "+" from the Tool Bar. If you select that tool from the pull down menu, you can then use it to click on the different parts of the graph and it will show you what will be copies if you do a CNTL/C or right click on the graph and select "copy"
Jim

In addition to the Selection Tool, PowerPoint seems to have issues with graphs at times. I have run into situations where I use the Selection Tool, but when I paste into PPT, I only get the title. Pasting into any other application works fine. So, the workaround is to choose Paste Special and paste the graphic as a Windows Enhanced Metafile.

Of course you could always just save the picture in the PowerPoint format. 

Dan Obermiller
BHarris
Level VI

Thx, Jim -- I wasn't actually missing that. I find that using the selection tool tends to be rather tedious and error prone ("darn, forgot to catch the x-axis again..."), so I avoid it unless I'm trying to do something custom. Good info for others who may not be aware of it, though.
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @BHarris,

Others have mentioned several ways to copy graphics from JMP but I'd like to point you to a fantastic short presentation by @rossmetusalem on the many ways to save out high resolution graphics from jmp. It's really worth a watch to make sure you're getting the most from your jmp graphics:

Saving High Quality Graphics from JMP for Publication and Presentation 

I hope this helps!

@julian