cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Graph Builder/Smoother Question

When using the Graph Builder, I like to use the smoother when plotting a Y variable against date as the X variable with multiple Y's for each X value.  How do I get the smoother to work when I change the Summary Statistic from Mean to N?  Currently, when I change to N, the smoother for Mean stays on the chart and I want the smoother for N instead.

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Graph Builder/Smoother Question

The smoother in the Graph Builder platform is based upon all of the data that is being included within the graph, not just the calculated points such as the mean.  As illustrated below, here are 2 Graph Builders, where one has all of the raw data that the smoother is calculated on, and the second is calculated on just the mean values.  The Lambda values are the same for both graphs.  The first graph appears to be based upon the mean, because with the larger number of data points, the smoother is a better estimator.

11133_pastedImage_0.png

11134_pastedImage_1.png

So if you want the smoother to be based upon the N, you will need to calculate the N for each of your groupings before you enter into Graph Builder, and then ask for the smoother for those data.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

The smoother in the Graph Builder platform is based upon all of the data that is being included within the graph, not just the calculated points such as the mean.  As illustrated below, here are 2 Graph Builders, where one has all of the raw data that the smoother is calculated on, and the second is calculated on just the mean values.  The Lambda values are the same for both graphs.  The first graph appears to be based upon the mean, because with the larger number of data points, the smoother is a better estimator.

11133_pastedImage_0.png

11134_pastedImage_1.png

So if you want the smoother to be based upon the N, you will need to calculate the N for each of your groupings before you enter into Graph Builder, and then ask for the smoother for those data.

Jim
triunk
Level I

I see the option of cubic splines is available in JMP at graph builder when you test the moderating effect of a categorical variable on the effect of a categorical variable to the outcome which happens to be... you guessed it...also categorical variable. Does this make sense? Is that possible?