Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
anne_sa
Level VI

Graph Buikder: Using group X with a continuous variable

Hello everybody,

When we put a continuous variable in the Group X area, intervals are automatically created. However I wonder what is the rule to create these intervals. They are not regular and the number of points is not identical in each interval... In addition, is it possible to modify them and to define our own intervals (without creating a new variable)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Graph Buikder: Using group X with a continuous variable

Neither using Value Labels nor a Custom Formula works in changing the the X groupings in Graph Builder, however, you can create a Transform Variable when you run Graph Builder, that you can change the data value and the modeling type to get the affect you want.

trans.PNG

Jim

Did you read the documentation about the Group X feature?

anne_sa
Level VI

Hi,

Indeed @Mark_Bailey I had a look at the documentation. But I realize that I missed one page which provides part of the answer :

"When a continuous variable is added to a grouping zone, Graph Builder uses quantiles of the data to divide the variable into five groups."

I wanted to know if there is a way to change this "quantile rule" to create intervals with constant bin. If not, I will follow the suggestion of @txnelson and create transformed variables but it can take a while if we need to redo it each time...

Well, I think I will add a wish to the wish list if there is no other loophole