cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hytou31
Level I

Formulation DOE

I have to define DOE for  2 continuous factors and 1 qualitative factor with 2 levels (A and B)  tested at different concentrations. My constraints are the following:

- if the A concentration is >0 then B=0

- if the B concentration is >0 then A=0

The objective is to optimize the formulation.

I try to do a custom design but I didn't find the way to define my constraint.

The optimum should select the best level for the qualitative factor (A or B) and the concentration level between the range -1 to 1.

I will appreciate your help for this topic.

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Formulation DOE

One additional approach that could be used if the ranges are very different is to use a coded range from -1 to 1. When you encounter a treatment at (A,-1), it will mean you run A at 10. If it is (B,-1), you run B at 800. You would need to keep in mind the translation of the results back to the appropriate scales.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Do you need a constraint? It seems that you could have two factors: a categorical factor for ingredient (A or B) and a continuous factor for concentration. This way, you would never have A and B in the same formulation.

hytou31
Level I

I forgot to add that the concentration range is different between both ingredient.

In fact my constraint are the following:

if CA>0 then CB=0

or if CB>0 then CA=0

where CA (resp. CB)  is the concentration of the A (resp. B) ingredient.

When I try to implement this cosntraint, I have the following message:

"The selected terms in the Model outline are linearly dependent on the previous terms. Please press the Remove Term button and try again."

I hope it is helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please see this discussion. Define concentration to have a wide range that spans both A and B. Set one constraint so that when factor set to A, then exclude one portion of the concentration range. Do the same for factor set to B.

I think that it should answer your question, but if you still need help, let us know.

hytou31
Level I

Thanks a lot for your response, it is an interesting approach to solve my issue (I was a little bit desperate). Just a comment and maybe a piece of advice from you, how do you manage when A concentration range (10-15) is really different than the B concentration range (800-1000). The number of runs between A and B are really unbalanced (3 runs with A and 17 with B). It seems to me strange. Here below an example of code.
What do you think?
Thanks again for your prompt response.

DOE(
Custom Design,
{Add Response( Maximize, "Y", ., ., . ),
Add Factor( Continuous, -1, 1, "X1", 0 ),
Add Factor( Continuous, -1, 1, "X2", 0 ),
Add Factor( Categorical, {"A", "B"}, "X3", 0 ),
Add Factor( Continuous, 10, 1000, "Conc", 0 ), Set Random Seed( 2111591509 ),
Number of Starts( 1453 ), Add Term( {1, 0} ), Add Term( {1, 1} ),
Add Term( {2, 1} ), Add Term( {3, 1} ), Add Term( {4, 1} ), Add Term( {1, 2} ),
Add Term( {1, 1}, {2, 1} ), Add Term( {2, 2} ), Add Term( {1, 1}, {3, 1} ),
Add Term( {2, 1}, {3, 1} ), Add Term( {1, 1}, {4, 1} ),
Add Term( {2, 1}, {4, 1} ), Add Term( {3, 1}, {4, 1} ), Add Term( {4, 2} ),
Add Alias Term( {1, 1}, {2, 1} ), Add Alias Term( {1, 1}, {3, 1} ),
Add Alias Term( {1, 1}, {4, 1} ), Add Alias Term( {2, 1}, {3, 1} ),
Add Alias Term( {2, 1}, {4, 1} ), Add Alias Term( {3, 1}, {4, 1} ),
Set Sample Size( 20 ), Disallowed Combinations(
X3 == 1 & Conc > 15 | X3 == 2 & Conc < 800
), Optimality Criterion( 2 ), Make Design, Set Run Order( Randomize ),
Make Table}
)

Custom Design did not converge for me, so I cannot inspect the resulting design. I believe your observation about the imbalance of the A and B levels.

I removed the constraint and made the design, enabled Simulate Responses, made the data table, manually changed 505 to 12.5 and 1000 to 15 for A and changed 10 to 800 and 505 to 900 for B, and then simulated the response.

I suspected that this data would not actually support estimating the model parameters due to a singularity. It turns out that the situation isn't that bad, it is just really bad. The desired concentration levels for A and B produce very strong correlations among the estimates for X3, Conc, and any interaction with X3. This correlation in turn leads to unstable estimates. I included strong non-linear effect of Conc and a large X3*Conc interaction in the simulated response but they were not detected at all.

I attached this data table for you to inspect.

hytou31
Level I

Thanks for this additional information. So, if I well understood, it is not really recommanded to use this doe tip when range are really different.

One additional approach that could be used if the ranges are very different is to use a coded range from -1 to 1. When you encounter a treatment at (A,-1), it will mean you run A at 10. If it is (B,-1), you run B at 800. You would need to keep in mind the translation of the results back to the appropriate scales.

Dan Obermiller