cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JL_LZH
Level III

Exclude outlier in box plot

Hello,

I'm comparing two parameter sets in a box plot. Each set includes has 10 reps for statistics. And obviously there is one outlier in it (see attached file). 

Is there a way to include the outlier in the graphic, but exclude it from the statistics? I tried the "exclude" status for the row, the statistics are corrected then, but the outlier disapears (it works for the points plot, but I would like to keep the box plot). 

@martindemel

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Exclude outlier in box plot

Hide and exclude are independent row states. You can change the state of each one without affecting the other. JMP platforms generally respect both of these row states. Is it possible that you selected Hide and Exclude command instead of just Exclude command from the Rows menu?

JL_LZH
Level III

Re: Exclude outlier in box plot

Hello Mark,

thanks for your quick reply.

On Friday I figured out an even better solution for my problem: I found the mistake we did in the measurement.. now the outlier is gone.

But for the sake of this topic:

No, I tried all three commands Hide and Exclude, Exclude and Hide. For the box plot Hide and Exclude and Exclude gave the same result. Both times the outlier was not included in the calculation but also not visible. When I switched to points plot however it worked as I expected it.

When I tried Hide instead, the whole box plot disappeared..

I recreated the scenario and attached some screenshots. The abbreviations are clear I hope.