Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Rolf_Rank
Level I

Efficient work with multiple data files

Dear Community,

I want to improve my working style with multipe files of same structure. Example

each file contains x, y data, x is similar y depends from experiment to experiment.

data1.jmp: x, y

data2.jmp: x, y

data3.jmp: x, y 

etc.

Goal is a diagram that shows y(data1), y(data2), y(data3) vs. x

Up to now I added to each file a 3. column "ID", made a recode with "data1", "data2", "data3", concatenated all these files and plotted the y vs. x overlaid by ID.

Is it possible to achieve the same result by some sort of linking as shown in the examples for Virtually Join Data tables? I could'nt see how this technique works for my task.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: Efficient work with multiple data files

I'm not sure you can join the files unless the x values are identical.  But the method you used can be made more efficient.  As long as the columns have the same labels (x,y), just concatenate them and check the box to create the ID column (no need to do it manually).  Then graph y vs x using the ID as an overlay.  Or if you are doing fit y by x, before fitting anything, group by ID, then fit (line, for example).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dale_lehman
Level VII

I'm not sure you can join the files unless the x values are identical.  But the method you used can be made more efficient.  As long as the columns have the same labels (x,y), just concatenate them and check the box to create the ID column (no need to do it manually).  Then graph y vs x using the ID as an overlay.  Or if you are doing fit y by x, before fitting anything, group by ID, then fit (line, for example).

Rolf_Rank
Level I

Thank you!