cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Shannon
Level III

Custom DOE, 4 continuous factors, want to add replicate runs

I am creating a DOE with 4 continuous factors, including 2nd order interactions and quadratics. I would like to add replicate runs. 

I tried typing 5 into the replicate runs box before creating the design, but the design that was created did not have any replicates. The number of runs was 20 and all were unique. I understand replicates to be running the same set of conditions more than once.

Am I misunderstanding what a replicate run is? or am I setting up the DOE incorrectly when I create it?  

20 REPLIES 20
Shannon
Level III

Re: Custom DOE, 4 continuous factors, want to add replicate runs

I checked my DOE preferences and it did have D-optimality, so i set preferences to look like what you have. See attached. It doesn't seem to have solved the problem though. Still seeing the 15 minimum recommendation and no replicates in the design. 

I did try your file again and it is working for me. So when I bring up your DOE dialog and Make Model it is giving replicates. I'm just not able to do it with a new DOE dialog. I guess I can use your file and set my factors to what I want and use your file to create the design. I was just hoping to figure out what is happening with my program that is causing the replicate runs function to not work.  

Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Here's my complete trail of mouse click by mouse click JMP breadcrumbs I'm using to get the 20 run I optimal design with 5 replicates, RSM model. Since your model effects aren't in the same order as mine in the Model window I'm wondering if somehow the way in which you are entering effects in the model window is having some influence? I'm running JMP 14.2. Here goes:

From the JMP Home Window

1. DOE -> Custom Design.

2. Enter "4" as the number of factors in the Add N Factors window.

3. In the Add Factor drop down window, selecte continuous factors.

4. Click Continue.

5. In the Model window, click on the RSM button.

6. Enter "5" in the Number of Replicate Runs window.

7. Select the User Specified radio button in the Number of Runs window.

8. Enter "20" in the User Specified window.

9. Click on Make Design.

10. Click on Make Table.

Hopefully you'll have your 20 run I optimal design, with 5 replicates.

I'm very sorry you ran across this issue, and sorry I did not see this thread until now.
Any chance you're using 14.0? This was an issue that should be fixed in JMP 14.2 (and 14.1). In 14.0, you will have to add the replicates via jsl.

Cheers,
Ryan
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

Many thanks to my colleague @Ryan_Lekivetz for chiming in on this thread. All of my work and contributions on this thread are using JMP Pro version 14.2. So maybe Ryan has provided the key root cause?

Shannon
Level III

Yes, that is most likely the cause. I've been using JMP 14.0. I will have to have an IS admin install the update on my computer before I can try it. 

Thank you so much for all your help!

Shannon
Level III

I finally was able to update to 14.2 and the replicate runs is working as intended. Thanks again for your help. 

billi
Level V

I am not sure if this thread is still active but I use JMP Pro version 14.0 and I am having same problem with replicates. I am not getting any replicate runs in my design.

It's active now!

The problem was a bug discovered in the version that you are using. You need to update your version. The later maintenance releases included a fix for the bug.

Hello Mark,

I just updated to Version 14.3 and I'm still experieincing he problem with custom design. I even tried to replicate the design in this thread, but it would only give me 20 runs with the incorrect replicate number.

Something else gives it seems.

I'm running MacOS High Sierra, JMP14.3.

Apologies, disregard my message above. I am realizing that it is working the way it is supposed to. I just made a small error on my end. Thanks!